Saturday, Sept. 28

IU’s princesses prepared for Indy 500

500 Princesses

Recent IU graduate Fayth Kalb never thought anyone would crown her with a
tiara.

Saturday morning at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Kalb and seven other IU students joined 25 fellow 500 Festival princesses dressed in evening gowns, sashes and, yes, tiaras, for the crowning of the Indianapolis 500 Festival Queen.

It was one of many functions the princesses attend during the month of May.
While none of the eight IU students won the Queen award, they all expressed excitement for the coming week’s festivities.

The 33 princesses were selected Feb. 6 from an original pool of more than 200 applicants. To be a 500 Festival princess, applicants must be from Indiana and attend an in-state college or university.

“I knew two girls who did it last year who went to my high school,” rising senior Blair Martin said. “I saw all their pictures and it looked really fun. My family has always gone to the race.”

Recent graduate Jordan Gill has sat with her family in Turn 1 for at least the past eight years.

As a 500 Festival princess, she said she’s more excited for this race than any previous years.

“I’m looking forward to seeing the race from a different perspective,” Gill said. “Since we’ve gone to the race and qualifications as visitors, now as being part of the 500 Festival, just seeing it from a different angle and getting to be part of the Winner’s Circle this year will be fun.”

On race day, the princesses will rise early in the morning and take a police escort onto the track. They will then each ride a lap around the track in a pace car, waving to the crowd, before taking a seat that has not yet been disclosed to them.  Martin says she hopes it’s on the front stretch.  The princesses have performed community outreach functions leading up to the race, acting as ambassadors for the 500.

On Saturday, after the coronation, they attended a volunteer’s luncheon where they changed out of their dresses and into comfortable polos and skirts. They kept the tiaras and sashes.

“The tiara does get a lot of extra special perks,” Gill said. “The kids think you’re so special when you wear this stuff. You feel like a completely different person.”

The princesses do not go to all events together. The only events they have been together at thus far have been the mini-marathon and the volunteer appreciation day.

They said they have attended elementary schools, hospitals and retirement homes trying to get people excited for the race. Going to elementary schools, or any event with children, has been a hit with the IU contingent of princesses.

“I think for me, my favorite was kid’s day, just to see all the little girls come out and make sashes and tiaras,” recent graduate Sarah Hurdle said. “They were really excited to see us there.”

The women said children frequently ask them if they live in a castle.

Kalb once had her princesshood questioned by a  curious young boy at an event.

“I had a little boy tell me I wasn’t a real princess because I didn’t live in Disney World,” she said. “I looked at him and I was like, ‘You don’t know that. I might’ve flown in on my magic carpet this morning.’ His eyes just got really big.”

The women said it has been an adjustment signing autographs. They even had to practice signing “Princess” before their name.

“Once one asks for it, then all the other kids realize that’s an option and they all grab onto your leg with a piece of paper and just hold it up to your face,” Gill said.

Proudly wearing her tiara Saturday, Kalb said she can’t wait for race day.

“It’s been a once-in-a-lifetime experience, definitely,” she said. “It’s been really cool.”