Friday, Oct. 18

Students can shave heads for cancer awareness

caBaldricks

Students will have the opportunity to shave their heads for the St. Baldrick’s Foundation at 3 p.m. Sunday in Teter Quad Residence Hall.

The St. Baldrick’s Foundation is a charity for childhood cancer research. In 2012, the St. Baldrick’s Foundation hit their record mark of raising $100 million in research grant funding, according to its official website.

Volunteer Event Organizer Hanna Jasemi said everyone is welcome to attend and watch the event, hear from families whose lives have been affected by cancer and enjoy food, games and music.

George Sprague, residence manager of Forest Residence Center and official “shavee” for the Forest Residence Center team, said this will be less of a solemn event and more of a celebration.

“It’s really more of a pep rally for cancer,” he said.

According to its online participants page, the Forest team has already raised more than $400, which is almost halfway to its $1,000 goal.

Although it is ideal for teams to reach their goals, Sprague said he still plans on shaving his head for the cause.

“I know I’ll be bald Sunday regardless,” he said.

Like other shavees participating in this event, Sprague has previous experience with cancer research funding, and he said the cause is “near and dear” to his heart.

Nathan Handwerker, a shavee participating as an individual, is making this event his fourth year being involved in the St. Baldrick’s event.

He said he believes St.Baldrick’s is doing great things to help many children and he feels good about being a four-time participant.

“I love being bald, and I love being bald for a good reason,” he said.

Handwerker said he believes this event is important because cancer is a widespread problem.

According to the American Cancer Society’s study from 2002-05, 1 in 70 males from birth to age 39 will develop an invasive cancer. This ratio is even higher for females at 1 in 48 women.

“This event is extremely important because cancer affects someone in everyone’s life,” Handwerker said. “Maybe not yet, but someday you will know someone who will get cancer, and that’s a sad truth.”

This event is made possible with the help of Jasemi, who initially contacted the foundation last year and offered to throw the fundraiser.

Jasemi said childhood cancer is unique and underfunded, which is where she said St. Baldrick’s comes in to help.

Jasemi said she believes this event is more than just raising money because it shows solidarity, awareness and support.

“When you shave your head, you are telling the world that bald is beautiful,” she said. “You’re standing in solidarity with kids that not only have to brave one of the toughest obstacles life has to throw at them, but live in a world where we have a strict definition of beauty.”

Jasemi herself shaved off a foot and a half of her own hair last year and described it as “fantastic.”

Jasemi said this event is open to everyone regardless of whether they are participating but everyone is encouraged to stop by and donate a couple of dollars toward a good cause.

“Students should care because they’re not just students, they’re humans,” she said. “People unite when there needs to be a change, and without the presence of IU students this event couldn’t be ?possible.”

Currently, 175,000 children are diagnosed with cancer each year worldwide and in the U.S. more children die of childhood cancer than any other disease, according to St. Baldrick’s website.