Monday, Oct. 7

Greek community, local families celebrate Halloween

As Bow Wow Wow’s song “I Want Candy” played from a greek house nearby, a student in a taco costume filled a tiny princess’ bag with candy during the greek community’s annual Safe Halloween event 
Wednesday night.

The Halloween event, sponsored by all four IU greek councils, invited Bloomington families to the greek houses on the North Jordan extension, where members of sororities and fraternities wore costumes themselves and handed out candy to trick-or-treaters.

“It’s a really simple idea that helps make October in Bloomington what it is for a lot of families,” said Katie Nobbe, vice president of community involvement for the panhellenic council. “And with the combination of greek life and the Bloomington population, it’s something that really represents community in every sense of the word.”

Radio stations WBWB, B97 and WHCC Hoosier Country 105 sponsored and promoted the event. The stations promote Safe Halloween on air, encourage sponsors to donate candy for the event and play music at the event each year, Pam Thrash, who works at B97, said.

The IU Police Department also helps with the event every year with officers at each end of the street to monitor traffic, in 
addition to officers maintaining safety up and down the street.

“Actually, everybody thinks we’re in costume,” IUPD officer Amanda Harden said. “I’ve had at least six people say my costume is very realistic.”

The event is meant to create a safe environment for trick-or-treaters where kids can have fun while their parents don’t have to worry as much about them, Nobbe said.

“He’s having so much fun, because everybody acts excited to see him and his costume,” said Erika Bushert, who brought her 3-year-old son to the event. “This is his very first time trick-or-treating, and we thought this would be a good way to start, in a place where it’s all students and we’re both more comfortable about it.”

For other members of the community, attending Safe Halloween is a long-standing tradition.

Janice Watts brought her children to Safe Halloween for years until they were grown and continues to bring her grandchildren every year.

“The students are so much fun with the kids in the way they interact and make it a big deal for them,” Watts said. “It almost makes it even more fun than the neighborhood trick-or-treating on Halloween.”

The event has become an established tradition within the greek community as well.

As the event has grown, more and more sponsors have gotten involved.

For many, Safe Halloween is an example of unity between greek organizations as well as a chance to interact with the wider community as a whole, Nobbe said.

Sororities and fraternities are paired up at houses on North Jordan and must work together to help make the event as fun as possible for the kids and families who attend, she said.

As the night continued, more and more families arrived, with groups of tiny superheroes, stormtroopers and fairies filling their bags with candy. Many of the sorority and fraternity members formed tunnels for trick-or-treaters to walk through.

They complimented costumes and offered high fives to the kids who showed up for candy.

“It’s something that’s about more than just yourself,” said Jordan Kahn, a sophomore in Alpha Epsilon Pi. “Look at these smiles on all these kids. That’s what it’s about.”