Tuesday, Oct. 8

COLUMN: IU isn't doing enough to protect free speech

All over the country, universities are shutting down free speech on campus in favor of a muted, politically correct stance.

Whether it’s Rutgers refusing to teach the works of Virginia Woolf because of suicidal triggers or Yale students accusing free speech advocates of attacking leftist politics, the trend is harming the free expression of information and ideas that should occur on a college campus.

While IU is guilty of no such ridiculous offense, it is surely not doing enough to protect free speech on campus at a time when that protection is vitally needed.

My main issue with the reduction of free speech lies with the CommUNITY Educators who occupy each on-campus dorm. The aim of these Resident Assistant-like student employees is altogether pure: to foster a spirit of inclusion on campus through bulletin boards and 
programming.

In reality, however, the agenda of the CUE program is to tell students what is and isn’t okay to express on campus. Freedom of speech is branded bigotry. Freedom of expression is labeled cultural appropriation.

I do not protest against students who want to stand up for a politically correct worldview. In fact, I encourage it if that’s what they believe. But these CUEs are paid university employees. That doesn’t sit well with me.

When IU chooses to endorse a certain viewpoint other than that of simple freedom of speech and expression excluding harassment, they are essentially telling students that we aren’t afforded a basic right while we’re on campus.

Students should have the liberty to state their views without feeling that the University endorses the 
opposition.

As much as we’d like to regard ourselves as the best Indiana college, Purdue is clearly beating us in the world of free speech. Our rival college recently adopted the core values of the Chicago Principles of Free Expression.

These principles stipulate that the only way to truly discuss and defeat opposing views is “through open discussion rather than inhibition.” The only time a university will restrict free expression under these rules is if it violates a law or threatens the safety or wellbeing of an 
individual.

I call for IU to not only adopt some version of the Chicago Principles, but to defund the CUE program, as it endorses a politically correct viewpoint through a salary.

My goal isn’t to suppress a politically correct voice. People who hold that worldview should have every right to express themselves on campus. My goal is instead to encourage IU not to endorse politically correct speech 
exclusively.

The world isn’t always a friendly place. In many respects, the world can be cutting, cruel, and difficult. As college students, to make our way in this challenging world, we have to be able to face opposition head-on.

We can’t run away from discussions about race relations, historical events or otherwise uncomfortable topics. Every individual has the right to express their opinion.

Debates should involve a free flow of information and views, uninhibited by any organization or authority. Isn’t that what college is supposed to be about?