sports women's basketball

Women's basketball to play Miami in Big Ten/ACC Challenge

Patberg ball

IU women's basketball found out its opponent for the 2019 Big Ten/ACC Challenge on Tuesday afternoon.

On Dec. 4, IU will travel to Coral Gables, Florida, to play against University of Miami.

IU has played Miami once before in the Big Ten/ACC Challenege and won 69-54 in 2008. The other two times the teams have played, Miami has taken the victories, with the most recent win coming in 2015.

Last season the Hurricanes finished the season 25-9 and advanced to the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament. Miami returns two of its leading scorers from last season in senior center Beatrice Mompremier, 16.7 points and 12.2 rebounds per game, and junior guard Mykea Gray, 12.2 points per game.

The Hoosiers had similar success last season as they also advanced to the Round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament with a 21-13 record. IU is returning its four leading scorers from last season with senior guard Ali Patberg with 15.8 points, junior guard Jaelynn Penn with 13.9 points, senior forward Brenna Wise with 12 points and junior guard Bendu Yeaney with 9.7 points per game.

The Hoosiers are 7-5 all-time in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge and are 4-2 on the road. Last year IU defeated Wake Forest University 87-73 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.

This is the fourth nonconference game announced for IU next season. The Hoosiers are already slated to compete in the 2019 Paradise Jam Nov. 28-30 in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands.

At the Paradise Jam, IU will compete against defending NCAA Champion Baylor University, University of South Carolina and Washington State University.

The opening day of the tournament the Hoosiers will face the Gamecocks, who advanced to the Sweet 16 last year. The 29th will be against the Lady Bears and the 30th against the Cougars.

With the four announced games so far, the Hoosiers have a tough schedule before Big Ten play begins.