bloomington

Bloomington protesters gather in People's Park following Breonna Taylor decision

caprotest092320_2.jpg

In the hours following the indictment decision, Bloomington residents gathered in People's Park to remember Breonna Taylor and protest against police brutality.

Around 90 protesters gathered at 7 p.m. Wednesday to protest the ruling of the Breonna Taylor case.

No officers were charged with killing Breonna Taylor, a 26-year-old emergency room technician who was shot at least five times by officers executing a search warrant in March, according to a New York Times article.

A former Louisville police detective was indicted Wednesday by a grand jury for endangering Taylor’s neighbors by recklessly firing his gun, according to the article.

Protesters called for the officers to be tried for the murder of Taylor.

“Real justice is actually arresting the cops that killed her,” IU sophomore Ishana Gill said.

Protesters drew messages in chalk in People’s Park while yelling chants and raising signs supporting Taylor and the Black Lives Matter movement.

Blue chalk lettering on the concrete wrote out, “Say her name.”  

The protest moved down East Kirkwood Avenue to the Monroe County Courthouse before proceeding down East Sixth Street, North Grant Street and returning to People’s Park.

Word about the protest spread through many social media platforms. Protesters heard about the event through Twitter and Snapchat, sophomores Adam Ahmed and Brooke Brenner said. 

Gill said she arrived at the protest about an hour after she heard about the verdict.

David Mutchler, a 65-year-old with two Black granddaughters, said he hopes for policy change and fears for his grandchildren.

“I hope that this is a step towards changing policy, changing laws, changing attitudes,” Mutchler said.

Masks were worn to accommodate COVID-19 guidelines, but social distancing was not always observed.