Friday, Oct. 18

Two late goals boost IU to victory

Men's soccer defeats IUPUI

IU's men's soccer team was as unlucky as possible Wednesday against IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis. The Hoosiers outshot the Jaguars 25-3 but still only managed two goals in a 2-0 victory.\nBoth goals came in the final six minutes of play, with sophomore midfielder Pat Noonan finally giving the Hoosiers a 1-0 lead with 5:38 remaining. Junior midfielder Ryan Mack got IU an insurance goal just 59 seconds later, tapping in a rebound from just one yard away.\nThe goals came after a night of missed opportunities and great saves by IUPUI junior goalkeeper Armando Fernia.\n"We were trying everything to try to open them up," IU coach Jerry Yeagley said. "I felt we were getting quality chances. But we were shooting too many times from distance against a hot keeper. You know, you just can't … You're not going to beat him unless it's perfect."\nIU finally scored, ironically enough, on a shot that was far from perfect.\nNoonan put on a dribbling clinic near the top of the box before firing a shot on goal. The shot deflected off the back of a defender, hit the far post and bounced back into the goal, nestling in the far side-netting.\n"You think you got one easily, then it deflects," Noonan said. "Then you think it's wide, and it goes in. I didn't have a clue what was going on. But it was good to finally get it. We'll take whatever we can get."\nThe Hoosiers got their second goal shortly after Noonan's, when sophomore forward Michael Bock beat a defender and got a shot off. Fernia deflected the shot right to Mack, who tapped it in for the 2-0 lead.\nIU threatened several more times before the end of the game, including a shot by Noonan that sailed high and a header by junior Tyler Hawley that was saved by Fernia.\nNoonan and the rest of the Hoosier midfield created chances the entire game, dominating the Jaguars in the middle third.\nAs usual, Noonan and Mack created scoring opportunities. Senior midfielder Justin Tauber also had several opportunities, making runs and getting involved in the offense more than usual.\nOne of Tauber's opportunities came with 13 minutes remaining in the first half, when he carried the ball up the middle of the field and fired a shot from just outside the box. The shot caromed off the left post.\nThe play was nearly identical to one made by junior sweeper Josh Rife just nine minutes earlier. Rife carried the ball from just past midfield and sent a rocket off of the right post.\nBoth plays were indicative of how IU's night went ' until Noonan and Mack's goals.\nThe victory improved IU's record to 3-2 and gave the Hoosiers' their first home win this season.\n"We talked before the game how if we would've lost this game, last weekend would mean nothing," Tauber said. "So definitely it was very important for us to get a win, especially with two tough games coming up this weekend.\n"It was very important, just to get over .500 for the first time for the year. It was very important to get a win here and not a tie"