Sunday, Oct. 6

Hoosiers outskate Rockets

Hockey team opens season 2-1; assistant coach praises defense

Although the Hoosier hockey team was defeated 8-0 in its season opener at Eastern Michigan University Thursday night, it bounced back to trounce Toledo University 12-0 Friday and 7-0 Saturday.\nAssistant coach and general manager Alex Kyrias chalked up Thursday's problems to the Hoosiers' defense.\n"On Friday and Saturday I was happy, defensively," Kyrias said. "Thursday was a little less impressive because of both inexperience and maybe a lack of concentration and desire."\nJunior forward Bryan Grant scored just 22 seconds into IU's battle against Toledo Friday. It turned out to be all the Hoosiers would need.\n"I think everyone was a little bit mad, wanting to win and everything," Kyrias said.\nIn addition to his goal, Grant had four assists, leading the Hoosiers with five points in the game. Junior forward Brandon Phillips and team captain junior forward Dan Hauck each had two goals and two assists for a four-point game. \n"Fortunately, when you get to play with good players, your numbers are going to go up," Grant said. "I just play on a good line."\nFreshman forward Zach Vietri had the first two goals of his career Friday, and sophomore defender Tim McMahon had three assists. Nine other Hoosiers combined for the remaining 12 points. The Hoosiers outshot the Rockets 53-4 Friday, with senior goalie Josh Sears recording a shutout.\nSaturday proved to be a strong game for the Hoosiers. Hauck scored with the help of a five-on-three power play with 2:17 left in the first period to give IU the lift it needed to defeat the Rockets 7-0.\nGrant, once again, scored a goal and four assists for five points Saturday. Hauck, McMahon, Phillips, sophomore forward Matt Cohen and freshman defender Mike Piotrowski each had two points, and five other Hoosiers had one point apiece.\nThe Hoosiers outshot the Rockets 53-18 Saturday as senior goalie Justin Wojtowicz earned his first shutout of the season.\n"I think Toledo is not of the caliber of Eastern Michigan, but it was nice to see some of the new guys get their first goals," Kyrias said.\nThe Hoosiers' season opened Thursday night at Ypsilanti, Mich., without the success the team would have later in the weekend. The Eagles rattled their former goalie, sophomore Charlie Pulley, for three goals in the first 3:17. \n"The game was a little tough in the beginning, but it was our first game, and we picked it up as the game went on," Pulley said. "We had a pretty good second period. It showed we could play with anyone on any level."\nAlthough IU shot even with the Eagles in the second period, Eastern Michigan shutout the Hoosiers 8-0. IU then shutout Toledo all weekend, not allowing a goal in 112:23 minutes.\n"I think Friday and Saturday, giving up 22 shots total, is great," Kyrias said. "But we're not that good yet; the competition will only get better"