Sunday, Oct. 6

Team finishes season at home

The women's soccer team finishes up the 2000 season at home against cross-state rival Kentucky Sunday afternoon.\nSunday's game comes on the heels of another disappointment, as the Hoosiers fell to Cincinnati 1-0, Friday night in Cincinnati.\nSenior back Kendal Willis must be hoping to forget this season. Willis, who had missed much of the year with an ankle injury, accidentally kicked a ball over IU goalie Chrissy Heubi's head in the 54th minute of play for the game's only goal.\nBearcat Jen Meiners hit a crossing pass that Willis tried to play, but instead of clearing it out of play, she punched the ball into her own net.\nThe loss drops the Hoosiers to 7-9-1. They have lost their last six games and winless in their last seven.\n"I though we didn't get the ball forward enough to where we can hold onto it," said assistant coach Don Madvig. "We had to get players into the box and we couldn't keep the ball long enough to do that.\n"It was a real hard-fought game, but once again, we just didn't get the ball forward to where we could create some opportunities."\nThe six consecutive losses tie a school record set in both 1993 and 1996.\nIU also dubiously extended its scoreless streak to 553 minutes.\nThe Hoosiers hope to end their forgettable season on a positive note, with a win Sunday over the Southeastern Conference's top team.\nIU, who won only one conference game and were eliminated from Big Ten tournament, finish their 2000 season in a battle Kentucky. The Wildcats team won the Southeast Conference's regular season crown.\nThe Wildcats are lead by 1999 Southeastern Conference freshman of the year forward Keri Boyce, who has compiled 29 points, and junior goalie Beth Wells, who holds a 1.07 goals allowed against average this season.\n"They're athletic and quick," coach Joe Kelley said. "I think we may be quicker, though. They've got some good forwards. They score goals. The main thing about Kentucky is that they're solid."\nThis will be the sixth time the two will face off, with IU holding a 3-2 advantage in the series. In their last meeting, in 1997, IU defeated UK in Lexington, 2-0.\n"We've had a good series with them over the years," Kelley said. "They're doing really well this year, but they've lost two of their last four games."\nThe Wildcats have been ranked in the nation's top 20 all year, getting as high as 10th in several polls. \n"UK is a ranked opponent, and they're always tough to play," senior back Jena Kluska said. "Even on our home field." \nThere has been a steady rivalry growing since the teams' inaugural meeting in 1993 and has grown in intensity since UK handed the Hoosiers their first overtime loss in the program's history in 1996.\n"I think there is Indiana-Kentucky rivalry from the standpoint that ... everybody builds it up whether it\'s in basketball or whatever," Kelley said. "And I've known (Kentucky head coach) Warren (Lipka) from years back in St. Louis. We didn't go to high school together, we played against each other. So there's a little bit of rivalry there for sure. It makes it even that much more fun to play."\nSunday is senior day for IU and their four seniors are looking to intensify the rivalry, so their last appearance in an IU uniform is not a losing one.\n"I just want to go out with a great feeling," senior goalie Chrissy Heubi said. "As long as we do our best and give all we have, regardless of the score, I'll be satisfied walking away from Armstrong for the last time. However, a win would be nice"