Sunday, Oct. 6

Bennett seeks support at luncheon

Coach encourages her players to believe in the team concept

Once again, new women's basketball coach Kathi Bennett was talking defense.\nThe coach, who prides herself on her team's defensive skills, discussed her philosophy with a packed audience in the Hoosier Room underneath Memorial Stadium Tuesday afternoon.\nThe Tip-Off Luncheon was a chance for Hoosier fans to see Bennett and her team one last time before they take to the floor Friday, playing host to the University of Washington at 4 p.m. It was also a chance for Bennett to build a fan base, which has been absent from the women's basketball in the past.\n"These women haven't experienced a packed house," said Bennett, finishing her remarks to the nearly 300 fans in attendance. "I'd like to see what happens when they do.\n"They won't quit. They'll fight."\nBefore Bennett spoke, members of the team introduced each other to the audience, sometimes getting choked up during their frank and funny remarks.\nBennett mixed her words with those of her father, Dick, the men's coach at the University of Wisconsin, President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Denver Nugget Nick Van Exel, and freshman guard Nicole Motto.\nBennett used the podium to speak to her team as well, insisting that they buy into the team philosophy that has envisioned for the Hoosiers. She also listed five areas where the team needed to improve and what will be the focus of the season. Tops on that list were transition defense and post defense, which Bennett has preached repeatedly in the early season.\nShe also stressed that the Hoosiers cannot be afraid to fail, while asking for the fan's support.\n"Suffer and hurt when we lose -- it's OK," Bennett said. "And celebrate when we win -- feel that.\n"And you (the fans), don't be afraid to feel that with us. I hope you follow us and give us that support"