Sunday, Oct. 6

Fullback Hogan prepares for final game as Hoosier

Senior appreciative for competition from sophomore

Senior fullback De'Wayne Hogan got a big kick in the rear end last year by one of his teammates.\nIt was the kind of kick that served as a wakeup call. When the kick hit him, he knew he needed to work hard in the offseason and even harder in practice.\nHeading into his last game in an IU uniform, Hogan owes a lot of his success as a fullback to sophomore Jeremi Johnson. Throughout the past two seasons, Hogan and Johnson have battled for playing time at fullback. Midway through this season, Hogan won the battle.\n"De'Wayne Hogan is having an amazing season if you look where he has come as a freshman," senior defensive tackle Paul Mandina said. \nThe battle for IU's starting fullback job started in the summer of 1999, when Johnson arrived as a highly touted recruit from Ballard, Ky. Hogan was battling Johnson for the starting job after serving as Chris Gall's backup in 1998. Hogan started his IU career as a tailback in 1997 and was still adjusting to fullback in 1999.\n"Jeremi Johnson really pushed me when he came in," Hogan said. "That made me the player I am right now. If it wasn't for him, I would probably be rotating. He made me go out and work even harder and strive towards what I wanted to do."\nHogan started six games last season. Johnson started four. When training camp ended in August, the Hoosiers still didn't have a clear-cut No.1 fullback.\nJohnson and Hogan split time for six games. Hogan then emerged as IU's primary fullback in IU's 51-43 victory against Minnesota Oct. 21. Johnson hasn't carried the ball since an Oct. 14 loss at Michigan.\n"I was telling him the whole year, 'We can't be sharing this position,'" Hogan said to Johnson. "'It's either you will be starting or I'm going to start.'"\nFor the season, Hogan has gained 280 yards on 50 carries, while Johnson has gained 103 yards on 20 carries. Hogan has added five rushing touchdowns.\n"Hogan is playing his best football," coach Cam Cameron said. \nHogan will start the final game of his career Saturday at No. 17 Purdue. In addition to Saturday's showdown being his final game, it is special for Hogan because the Hoosiers have a chance to ruin their biggest rival's Rose Bowl dreams. A Purdue win and the Boilermakers (7-3, 5-2 Big Ten) are guaranteed to play in the Rose Bowl.\n"We're trying to leave Indiana on a good note," Hogan said. "We're trying to get them started in the right direction. We're not here to spoil any bowl games. We're here to do our job." \nHogan said he's approaching his final game like a 'Bowl Game.' Saturday will be as close as Hogan will get to playing a postseason game. The Hoosiers are 3-7 and were eliminated from being bowl-eligible after losing at Illinois Nov. 4. Hogan, who is from Indianapolis, has never been played for an IU team that has defeated Purdue in the "Old Oaken Bucket" game.\n"This is all I have left," Hogan said. "I really want that Bucket back. I want to be a part of something good before I leave, and (beating Purdue) would be the best thing"