Sunday, Oct. 6

Lions overpower Hoosiers

An IU volleyball fan stood just feet from the court opposite the Hoosier bench Wednesday night, dropping to push-up position after each Hoosier point. His-push-up-after-every-point approach did help a crowd of 397 hop to its feet, but had Amanda Welter's wish been granted, the fan might have left University Gym strong enough to bench press a couple of cars in the parking lot. \nWelter, a senior outside hitter, wanted one victory against national power Penn State. It didn't seem like much -- until the all-time series results were revealed: Penn State's 20 wins to IU's 0. That 20th triumph came Wednesday, as the No. 11 Nittany Lions cruised to a 15-1, 15-11, 15-12 conference victory. \n"It's disappointing," Welter said of being topped by Penn State for the eighth time in her career. "Penn State's not what it used to be. They aren't the team they were two years ago, or last year. We just weren't mentally tough. We weren't focused."\nThe two-time defending Big Ten champions and defending NCAA champion Nittany Lions disposed of IU in three games for the sixth straight time. The last time IU (15-12, 6-11 in Big Ten play) won a single game against Penn State came in 1996. \nThe Lions reeled off the first six points of game one, barely allowing IU to mutter any discontent. The Hoosiers did manage to battle back from a 9-5 deficit in game two, to tie the contest at nine. Penn State (24-5, 13-4) then pulled away behind the hard-hitting duo of junior Katie Schumacher and sophomore Mishka Levy. \nIU jumped to its only lead of the night in game three, scoring the initial point, but Schumacher and Levy again powered Penn State to an 8-2 lead. Welter recorded four straight kills to pull IU within two, at 12-10. Freshman outside hitter Nikki Hill then slammed two of her own to tie the game. Schumacher and Levy came to the rescue again, bailing out Penn State and ripping off the match's final three points to seal the victory. \nSchumacher ended with 16 kills and 19 digs, and Levy finished with 14 kills and 10 digs. The same duo spelled defeat for IU last month in State College, Penn., where Penn State dumped IU in three games. Welter led the Hoosiers with 19 kills and hit a staggering .410. \n"Penn State played very well," IU coach Katie Weismiller said. "Levy and Schumacher did a good job. But we lacked the heart and confidence we needed to win the match."\nThe same problems have plagued IU in its bid to topple a ranked opponent this season. The Hoosiers have yet to beat a ranked foe, hurting their already slim chances to slip into the NCAA tournament. The Hoosiers must knock off No. 17 Ohio State at home Friday night and beat Illinois and Purdue on the road to have any shot at extending the current streak of two consecutive NCAA tournament appearances. \n"This doesn't help," Weismiller said of the loss and the Hoosiers' post-season predicament. "Penn State doesn't have as many guns as in years past. Now, we have to win to have the slightest chance. We have to take care of business; we have no other choice"