Sunday, Oct. 6

Secondary hurt by inexperience

Poor defense statistics result in troublesome Big Ten ranking

No part of the football team has struggled more than the secondary.\nName a pass defense statistic and it's a good bet IU is buried at the bottom of the category. The categories in which IU ranks last in the Big Ten include:\n• Completions allowed -- IU has allowed 204 completions in nine games, which is 20 more than any other conference team.\n• Interceptions forced -- The Hoosiers have intercepted just three passes all season.\n• Touchdowns allowed -- Opponents have completed 21 passing touchdowns against the Hoosiers.\n• Passing yard allowed. Teams are averaging 284.1 yards passing per game against IU.\nIU's poor pass defense is a major reason why the Hoosiers rank last in the Big Ten and 111th out of 114 teams nationally in total defense, allowing 453.9 yards per game.\nSaturday, during IU's 42-35 defeat at Illinois, the secondary struggled. Illinois junior quarterback Kurt Kittner completed 21-of-29 passes for 277 yards, and three touchdowns.\n"As you look at it, the most disappointing thing was that they had three big plays, two of which resulted in touchdowns in double coverage," coach Cam Cameron said at his weekly news conference.\nHurting IU in the Illinois game was the absence of junior cornerback Sharrod Wallace, who injured his ankle Oct. 28 against Penn State. Junior Marcus Floyd and sophomore A.C. Carter replaced Wallace in the lineup. \n"Sharrod is our best cover corner by far," senior strong safety Johnny Anderson said. "We put in two guys who don\'t have much experience, and you can tell the Illinois coach knew that."\nWallace, who started every game prior to the injury, is listed as probable for this Saturday's game against Wisconsin. Cameron said the team won't know Wallace's status until the end of the week.\nDespite IU's struggle with the pass, Cameron said he won't make any major personnel changes at cornerback this weekend. \nCompared to other Big Ten teams, IU doesn't have much experience or depth in the secondary. Floyd and Carter are converted tailbacks, playing their first collegiate season as defensive backs.\nOther cornerbacks, freshman Duane Stone, senior Orlando Spencer and Wallace have been used interchangeably throughout the season, while Floyd and Carter have seen more action in recent weeks.\n"The thing they don't have that would help them a lot is experience," senior wide receiver Versie Gaddis said. "If you would've have seen them in the summer compared to now, they've improved a lot. It's kind of hard for people in the stands to tell because they weren't here in the summer"