Sunday, Oct. 6

Senior returns for one last cross country season

Student passes up opportunity to graduate

Senior cross country runner Dan Billish could have taken a few credit hours this summer, been a student teacher this semester and graduated in December.\nHe could've been done and far away from Bloomington.\nBut rather than end his college life a semester early, he chose to run with the cross country team. An option that he wasn't even promised. "It took some guts to do that, because there was no guarantee he would be in the top seven or top nine that gets to travel," coach Robert Chapman said. "But he did the work and took the chance, and it paid off. \n"That speaks volumes to me and to the young guys on our team about what is really important," Chapman said. \nBillish began running at the age of 7 under coach Jack Bolton, and he holds the 800-meter and 1600-meter records at his high school in in Chicago. His personal record in the cross country eight kilometer race is 25:01.\nBut Billish isn't satisfied with those accomplishments.\n"This year, I am more fit than I have ever been in my life," Billish said. "I have progressively improved through the year falling into the teams top seven and was our fifth runner at pre-NCAAs." \nBillish hopes to end the season by placing in the top 25 at the Big Ten championships and play a part in IU's success in the conference as well as the NCAA meet. This is a goal that Chapman sees a very realistic.\n"When it's time to compete, Dan brings his 'A' game," Chapman said. "Not his 'A-' game or his 'B' game, but his full 'A' game." \n"More than any other factor, that has been a key for this team this season … to lay it on the line at the major events. Dan has done that for us this year, and all during my time with him at Indiana."\nChapman is not the only member of the cross country who speaks highly of Billish. \nSenior Aaron Gillen has watched Billish mature over his four years at IU.\n"Ever since our freshman year I have seen him improve," Gillen said. "He has overcome many little nagging injuries to be able to toe the start line for every race and still be a factor.\n"He is always fired-up when it really counts like at big meets and that is the most important for us," Gillen said.\nBut the cross country team is not the only thing Billish runs for. At the beginning of every race, Billish looks down at the tattoo of paw prints on his left leg that he said represents everyone that has helped him become who he is today.\n"I always remember that these people are behind me whatever the circumstances," Billish said. "When my body feels like it cannot go any further or faster, I rely on the belief that all these people are with me at that time and it carries me through the race, but more importantly through life"