Friday, Oct. 18

Abercrombie performance not for casual jazz fans

Jazz guitarist John Abercrombie's set Tuesday night at the Buskirk-Chumley Theatre was not for the faint of heart or even the casual jazz fan. \nThe burly Abercrombie, sporting a long mustache that drooped to his chin, displayed a tranquil stage presence that belied his rough exterior. While not appearing to break a sweat, he was able to coax liquid-smooth tones and wrestle searing bursts of distortion from the guitar with equal ease, liberally spiking his melodic lines with tangy atonal coloring.\nIn the midst of a 10-date tour of the Midwest to promote his ECM release, Open Land, the 56-year-old guitarist satisfied the receptive audience with a generous helping of material from that album. He began his set with the title cut, which gave all four band members room to stretch their soloistic chops. Abercrombie was supported by violinist Mark Feldman, organist Dan Wall and drummer Adam Nussbaum.\nThey are seasoned veterans and comprise a tight, sensitive ensemble, particularly on the lovely waltz "A Nice Idea." The song's unpredictable, extended harmonies seemed a perfect match for Wall's spare, delicate Hammond organ sound. The absence of a bass player lent the group a refreshingly open sonic canvas. \nMost of the music was harmonically adventurous and defied even the most complex standards set by the kind of radio-friendly jazz known to a wide public. Those in attendance were most likely familiar with Abercrombie's boundary-crossing and envelope-pushing work since the 1970s, with visionaries such as Gil Evans and Billy Cobham. Nowhere was his eclecticism better shown than in a new song titled "That's For Sure." \nThe tune, described by Abercrombie as "a little oddball … country jam session" is a twisting, style-changing tour-de-force for the group. Using mixed meters, it alternated between a western lope and fiery swing, tethered together by his nimble guitar. Although Nussbaum's muscular drumming overpowered at times, all soloists were impressive.\nOpening band Freesome, a guitar, bass and drums trio, played a 30-minute set highlighted by a beautiful rendition of Jimmy Webb's "The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress." Frequent style changes and dramatic use of silence characterized the local group's wide-ranging music, which was well received.