Saturday, Sept. 14

Miller Park gives Milwaukee something to be proud of

Seems that these days, every baseball team is getting a new ballpark. In fact, I heard the Hoosiers are getting a brand new stadium with a retractable roof and all the creature comforts you could want. OK, so the Hoosiers really aren't, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that any day now, with the rates stadiums are going up. In Major League Baseball, two new parks opened up this year, PNC Park in Pittsburgh and Miller Park up in Milwaukee. While I have not been to Pittsburgh, if it's half as nice as Milwaukee's, the fans in "the burgh" have something to go see a game for, since their team gives them no reason.\nI went to a Cubs-Brewers game up at Miller Park a while back, and I was impressed. From the get go, everything went quite well. Parking was not too much of a hassle, as the park is right off the highway, and the exit leads you straight to the parking lot, with only a minimal hassle of waiting in line, considering the Cubs-Brewers is quickly becoming a big rivalry. Something to keep in mind should you ever venture up to the land of beer and brats is bring a cooler or two, as tailgating is a big thing up in Milwaukee. This was a new idea to me, I always associated tailgating with football, but in Wisconsin, apparently the Cheeseheads look for any excuse to get drunk in a parking lot, and a baseball game seemed as good as any. \nOnce we picked up our tickets from will call, it was time to go in. The only problem was, finding the right gate to go in. The entrances are not well marked, making it hard for one to figure out which gate to go in, unless they know what part of the park they are sitting in. Once you get in though, one realizes all the glory that comes from a brand new ballpark.\nEverything was squeaky clean, and the walk up to the second deck was not too taxing on the legs. And the seats, they were the best part. On the day of the game, my friends and I were able to snag first row second deck seats for a mere $20 each halfway up the third base line. These seats were great -- very close to the field and easy to see everything. While I don't know what the seats are like way up top, they didn't seem like they were all too bad. The way the decks are arranged, all the seats are made to be as close as possible to the field.\nThe best part of the whole night though, probably came after the game was over. After the Cubs were victorious and the fans started to vacate the park, the music to "2001: A Space Odyssey" came over the loudspeakers and a movement started over our heads, as the park officials started to close the roof. Miller Park has a retractable roof, for those days when the rains threaten or it's football weather in Milwaukee instead of baseball weather. I don't think I have ever seen so many people stop in their tracks and stare at the sky, awestruck. \nAll in all, Miller Park is a smashing success. While it lacks the history and ambiance of such parks as Wrigley Field and Fenway Park, it makes up for it in creature comforts.\nNext week: Jacobs Field