Friday, Oct. 18

Forward verbally commits to IU

For Daryl Pegram, the combination was just too much to say no to. \nThe lure of both the basketball tradition and the strong academics of IU will make Pegram a Hoosier next season after verbally committing to men's basketball coach Mike Davis late Sunday night.\n"(IU) offers a great combination of academics and athletics," Pegram said. "It was hard to pass up. I just wanted the best challenge I could find."\nA native of San Bernadino, Calif., Pegram is about to begin his senior season at Worcester Academy in Worcester, Mass. Last year, he averaged 13 points, seven rebounds and two blocks per game.\nPegram is 6-foot-8 and 185 pounds. He played small forward last season and said he will likely do the same this year on a team that features a big frontcourt. Pegram was first scouted by the Hoosiers in Las Vegas this summer by Hoosiers\' first-year assistant coach Jim Thomas.\nTo solidify his choice of IU, Pegram said he and his parents will be in Bloomington Friday, Nov. 2 and spend the weekend here as an official visit to the campus. \nThe Hoosiers open their pre-season schedule two days later against Athletes in Action at Assembly Hall Sunday afternoon.\nThe tradition that comes with five national championship banners is always a draw to any player considering basketball at IU and Pegram is no different. \n"I looked at most of the Ivy League schools and they said that I could go there, but they couldn\'t match the basketball program of IU," Pegram said.\nBut Pegram also listed the Kelley School of Business as another reason why he favors the Hoosiers. He said he wanted the best of both worlds and thinks he can get that at IU.\n"I have heard a lot of good things about the academics (at IU) and the business and I wanted those academics," Pegram said.\nA final factor could have been Davis and his recruiting ability. Pegram said Davis had quite an effect on his mother during the process and Pegram felt he could trust Davis and what he was saying.\n"You want to play with someone you like to play for," Pegram said. "(Davis) wants to win and he seems very sincere in what he says.He was one of the major influences on my decision."\nWith guards Bracey Wright and Marshall Strickland ready to be Hoosiers next season, Pegram, who has been rated as a top-100 prospect by some recruiting services, will give IU a new face in the frontcourt. And if Pegram has his way, Sean May would join him.\n"Hopefully (May) will come on and join us," Pegram said. "(IU) has the best of both worlds"