Saturday, Sept. 7

Seniors take the back seat

Freshmen, junior to take charge in weekend meet

Coach Ken Hydinger is looking for the Hoosiers to gain valuable experience this weekend in the fourth annual Louisville Invitational at the award winning Bass-Rudd Tennis Center in Louisville, Ky.\n"For the young guys, we're looking for them to get the experience, and we're still wanting to see them play in different situations," Hydinger said. "Experience is a big factor in improving."\nThe three seniors are sitting this tournament out, giving way for seven freshmen and junior Zach Held to get valuable playing time. \nHeld said he is excited about the opportunity.\n"I'm going down there to win this one," he said. "The top guys are going to be playing All-Americans, so it should leave the draw pretty open for me to hopefully run right through."\nHydinger said Held will be a strong competitor for the team.\n"Zach Held's game has picked up a level, maybe two from last year," he said.\nHeld and senior number one player Milan Rakvica won last week's doubles competition at the Clemson Fall Invitational. Five Hoosiers finished in the top 12 out of 64 in singles, with freshman Jon Magnes finishing with a team best fourth place in his first collegiate event.\n"I pulled out a couple of tough matches," Magnes said. "I got a couple of matches under my belt, and I started feeling some confidence. I ended pretty well. My confidence is pretty high. So I'm trying to maintain the kind of play that I ended with." \nHydinger, though, said he wasn't happy with everything that happened in Clemson.\n"I wanted Milan (Rakvica) to win that tournament," he said. "I thought he was capable of it. Milan's gonna win that match seven out of 10 times, maybe more."\nRakvica said his performance could have been improved.\n"It was my fourth match of the day. That guy didn't play a match all day," he said. "It makes a difference. I was a bit too tired."\nFor the most part, Hydinger said he is happy with how things are looking for this year's team.\n"Up and down the line-up, I thought everybody played pretty well," he said. "Overall, I'd say I'm pleased with where the team is right now"