Thursday, Sept. 19

Emergency plan tested

Sept. 11 sparks surprise drill, tests effectiveness of community

After being in place for a decade, the IU emergency plan, which spells out what various people in the administration will do in case of a crisis, was tested Tuesday night.\nThe surprise drill began at 6:45 p.m. with a call to the chancellor's office. From there, members of the risk management team, members of the IU Police Department and personnel from the administration met at the Emergency Operation Center located in the press room of Assembly Hall.\nThe two-hour drill tested the effectiveness of communication within the divisions of IU in the event of an emergency. The team also set up a new set of phone banks and a new computing system in the EOC.\nSome shortcomings were found in the notification procedure as well as the organization of the system, IUPD Police Chief James Kennedy said.\n"We'll be getting input on corrective action now," Kennedy said. "We'll keep testing until we get it right."\nKennedy and Larry Stephens, director of risk management, said they plan to hold more surprise drills. Stephens called Monday night a command and control drill to get everyone familiar with the procedure. Those in the future will include role-playing actual emergency situations. \n"We are a lot more prepared (for an emergency) than we were last Monday," Stephens said. "But we will continue to hold drills. Each time we will become better prepared."\nBloomington Chancellor Sharon Brehm said the drill was useful in that it allowed everyone to finally see how the plan will work during a possible disaster. \n"It is very important to do the test to see what things you can do better and what already works," Brehm said.\nShe said she also found some ways that she herself can become more ready to deal with a situation.\nWhen Brehm received the call that a drill was taking place, she happened to be in her office following a meeting.\n"I myself don't like to carry a cell phone or a pager," Brehm said. "Now I'm going to get a pager because I realize that it was the luck of the draw that I was in the office and available. The pager will make me more more accessible."\nBrehm said she is anticipating future role-playing drills.\n"Chief Kennedy told us that we were a very good class," Brehm said, "but there will be another test."\nIt was Brehm and Vice President Terry Clapacs who initiated the examination of the drill, Kennedy said. Before Monday night, the plan had never been tested, officials said.\n"I think what changed everything is Sept. 11," Stephens said. "All of a sudden everyone realizes that even though that took place in New York, disasters can and do happen. It created a willingness to prepare."\nBrehm had the same thoughts during the two-hour drill.\n"I think we all know this, but we always need to be reminded that we can read about it, talk about it and think about it," Brehm said. "But in situations like this, we just have to get out and do it"