Thursday, Sept. 19

Junior bows out in semifinals of 'Jeopardy'

If only IU offered a major in useless trivia.\nIf that were the case, junior Brett Dvorak would graduate at the top of his class.\nWednesday, Dvorak represented IU on "College Jeopardy," answering questions in categories ranging from "European History" to "Mmm...You Smell Great."\nAlthough he finished round one in first place, Dvorak went into Final Jeopardy in third. He finished there after betting all $4,800 on a question about the Internet and missing the fact that "Google" is the popular search engine created by Sergey Brin.\nHis "interesting tidbit" that each contestant brings during introduction was about his high school days in "South Pacific" where he had to wear a grass skirt and a coconut bra to class.\n"I thought the whole thing was pretty goofy," Dvorak said. "I was trying my best and all, but I don't think I took it as seriously as some."\nDvorak began his 15 minutes of fame with an online application to be a contestant on College Jeopardy.\nA few days later Dvorak received a call from Jeopardy inviting him to try out in Florida, so he bought a plane ticket. The weekend before classes began for fall semester, Dvorak flew south for his audition. The try-out consisted of a fifty question test, a mock game and an interview.\nA few weeks after returning home, Dvorak received a Federal Express Package inviting him to be a contestant.\nThe show taped on October 6 and 7, with the second round being taped on the 7th. Dvorak had to remain sequestered for the first day so he wouldn't know any of the other contestants scores or have any idea as to the type of questions being asked.\nTaping for his round lasted all day, and Dvorak was not paying attention to the cameras during the duration of the game.\n"I wasn't really thinking about being on TV," Dvorak said. "I was just having a good time."\nDvorak competed against a junior from Stanford who told the audience of her days as a "middle school corner back for the football team thanks to my growth spurt" and a senior from UCLA who thanked his "massive cheering section."\n"They're definitely helping me out a lot," he said.\nDvorak spent the day in the studio with the contestants and the show's host, Alex Trebek.\n"I was really surprised at the fact that Trebek kept messing up the questions and they'd have to go back and retape them," Dvorak said. "The man can't pronounce much."\nSupporting him in the audience was members of Dvorak's family and about seven friends who flew out to Los Angeles for the taping.\nDvorak and all the other contestants not advancing in the tournament received $5,000. The student who eventually wins the final round, though, will go home with $50,000 and a new Volvo.\n"(Even though I lost) It was still really fun to see myself on TV," Dvorak said. "It was just all so goofy. I wish I hadn't said any of the answers that I missed, though"