Sunday, Oct. 6

Hoosier team looks to rebound

Coach Davis to juggle starting lineup against in-state rival Notre Dame

Things probably couldn't have gone much worse for the Hoosiers Saturday in their 72-60 loss at Southern Illinois. The 72 points they allowed was a season-high and the 60 points they scored was their second-lowest point total of the season.\nBut the showing wasn't unexpected. Sophomore forward Jared Jeffries said IU's performance Saturday had been five games in the making.\n"It was a culmination of what we've been doing wrong over the last five games," he said. "All of our bad habits kind of came out in that game."\nThe Hoosiers (4-2) look to rebound when they host Notre Dame at 7 p.m. tonight in Assembly Hall. It will be the Hoosiers' first home game this season.\nMike Davis said the Hoosiers are ready for a home game, but would prefer to have a longer break after the loss to the Salukis.\n"I wish we were playing this game on Thursday instead of (tonight) because I don't think we've recovered from the trip," he said. "We couldn't practice on Sunday because everybody was so tired. To play (tonight) is a little quick."\nNotre Dame coach Mike Brey said that the Hoosiers will be making their home debut will negate the effects of extensive traveling. Brey expects a tough game, as the Fighting Irish (7-0) haven't won against the Hoosiers at Assembly Hall since 1973.\n"They set a schedule based on veteran group they've had back," Brey said. "They'll be excited to play. Were going to get a heck of a punch out of them."\nDavis plans to juggle his lineup for tonight's game. He listed his top six players as forwards Jeff Newton and Jared Jeffries, center George Leach and guards Donald Perry, Dane Fife and Kyle Hornsby.\nThe Hoosiers were unable to get much offense in the lane Saturday. They spent time practicing in the lane yesterday, but Davis said he didn't install any new offense sets. Even though he doesn't think IU is relying too much on the three-point shot, Davis does want to get more from his post players.\n"I think our post guys aren't posting strong enough and staying inside and going inside out," he said. "I haven't had time to put in anything new because our guys, it takes them a long time to understand one thing."\nJeffries said he agrees with Davis.\n"Me and (Davis) have been communicating about that for a while, about the different things I need to do, that I feel the team needs to do to help all the post guys out," Jeffries said.\nDavis didn't include junior guard Tom Coverdale and sophomore guard A.J. Moye in his top six of the rotation because of their poor defensive efforts Saturday. Davis added he would like to see them in the lineup and that IU needs them to be successful.\nKeeping Coverdale out of the starting lineup would be fine with Brey, who still remembers Coverdale's 30-point performance in the Hoosiers' 86-78 win at No. 10 Notre Dame last season.\n"We certainly remember Coverdale," Brey said. "I don't think we were very good man-to-man a year ago. He certainly took advantage. He's one of the key guys you have to slow down a little bit."\nThe Fighting Irish are led by senior center Ryan Humphrey, who is averaging more than 23 points and eight rebounds per game. Notre Dame has not played a very difficult schedule this season, with their toughest game coming at DePaul, which they won handily Saturday, 82-55.\nIn last year's win against the Irish, IU hit 7-of-11 from three-point land. Even though the Hoosiers shot an anemic 22 percent from three-point land Saturday, Brey said he still worries about the Hoosiers shooting from long range.\n"You have to really be aware of taking away the three-point shot," he said. "They're all confident shooters right now. Our big guys will be on their own guarding their guys."\nWherever the production comes from doesn't matter to Davis. He acknowledged that it would be good for the Hoosiers to be at home tonight and for the Saturday afternoon game against No. 15 Ball State.\nNow that they are at home, Davis hopes the effort that was lacking Saturday will pickup.\n"It's up to us," Davis said. "Everything is on us right now"