Sunday, Oct. 6

Men's soccer advances to Elite 8 with win

After edging Michigan State 1-0 in the second round of the NCAA Tournament last Sunday, people began to wonder when the Hoosiers would start scoring goals.\nThe only question pondered during IU's sweet 16 meeting with Rutgers was when the Hoosiers would stop. \nBehind an efficient offense and yet another defensive shutout, the Hoosiers defeated Rutgers 3-0 Sunday, securing another trip to the Elite 8.\nCoach Jerry Yeagley, who is looking for his sixth national championship and a fifth straight trip to the College Cup, was all smiles after the game.\n"Today Rutgers caught Indiana on the wrong day," Yeagley said. "This is the best soccer we've played all year, especially offensively in the second half. There was some beautiful combination play, movement off the ball, pinpoint passing. Anyone who appreciates the game of soccer appreciated the Hoosiers today."\nThe game started evenly for the Hoosiers and Rutgers. The turning point came halfway through the first half when freshman Mike Ambersley sent a rocket at the goal, which ricocheted off the crossbar. Although the ball did not go in, the near-goal sparked the intensity of the Hoosiers. \nMinutes later, junior Phil Presser put IU on the board with his first goal of the season. The play started with junior Pat Noonan, who found freshman Ned Grabavoy at the top of the goal box. Grabavoy one-touched a pass to Presser on the left side of the goal box, who juked two defenders before sending the ball into the opposite corner of the net.\nRutgers held off several more offensive chances for the Hoosiers in the first half, as the game went into halftime 1-0.\nThe second half started off with the Hoosiers completely dominating. Just two minutes into the half, Noonan showed why he was the Big Ten Player of the Year. Rutgers senior goalkeeper Ricky Zinter had trouble getting to senior Ryan Hammer's head ball on goal, which ended up being a perfect pass to Noonan who finished the play to give IU a 2-0 lead.\nThe third and final goal came off the foot of sophomore Vijay Dias. Dias converted on a one-on-one with Zinter, after being served a through-ball from Grabavoy. The goal was Dias' third of the season, and gave Grabavoy his second assist of the game.\nPerhaps even more impressive than the three goals was IU's ability to completely shut down Rutger's scoring attack, specifically senior Dennis Ludwig. The Big East Player of the Year came into the game with 17 goals on the season, and three already in the tournament.\nJunior back John Swann says the secret to the Hoosier defense is their close-knit unity.\n"We know our own strengths and weaknesses, and where we want the ball," Swann said. "The experience level now is just tremendous, and each game we get better and better. Every game we know we are going to be in sync"