Friday, Oct. 18

Redefining requirements of being a true sport

As the never-ending search for catchy, enticing introductions continues in the world of writing, many people resort to the cliche line, "Webster's ninth Collegiate Dictionary defines _____ as…". While many teachers hate this "clever" opening for its lack of originality, I personally just simply disagree with good old Noah Webster on his definition of the word "sport," and I aim to elucidate what a "sport" really is.\nI would first like to clarify one aspect of this article. In no way, shape or form am I putting the word "sport" on some pedestal, glorifying it as the preeminent name to describe a physical activity. People think that only if their activity is considered a "sport," that it takes discipline, effort and energy, and as a result, we have a very imprecise, nebulous definition of the word "sport." There are many physical activities out there that contain set formats and one body of rules, but this does not necessarily make them a true sport, as scores of people will try to argue. \nMany people who read this will be offended in various ways, accusing me of deriding the personal activity in which they are involved, but in reality, I am merely trying to put the common and frequent misuse of the word "sport" to rest.\nA true sport qualifies on BOTH levels of the following criterion:\n1) True sports require a tangible score that is achieved in a specific, concrete way -- not subjectively. For instance, a ball passing through/into a net, or a player running into an end zone are scores that cannot be argued. Either the ball crossed the desired plane or it didn't, period. Conversely, any activity that has judges who "assign" points for a takedown, a punch or a backflip is not a sport.\n2) True sports involve physical competition in which participants try to hinder the success of their opponent. For instance, when a defenseman in lacrosse checks an attackman's stick and the ball goes flying, he or she is trying to thwart the onslaught of the other team. In order to hinder one's success, it does not have to necessarily be a "contact" sport, as in the case of tennis, where there are defensive strategies in which a player can place a shot in a position that hinders the success of their opponent. \n"But wait a second, any competition that involves training, hard work and conditioning is a sport!" echo the cries from unenlightened "sports buffs."\nNo, not even close. There couldn't be a statement that is further from the truth than arguing the definition of sport based on the word "competition." I mean hey, I can sit down with a group of friends on a Friday night and compete to see who can do math lesson 6.1 the fastest, I've got spare time, but by no means are we playing a sport, no matter what great "Mathletes" we are. Competition exists on so many levels and in so many facets of society that it would be absolutely ridiculous to try to use it as grounds for qualifying an activity as a "sport."\nMany people will try to argue that their favorite activity is, in fact, a sport -- people such as (but not limited to) runners, swimmers, divers, gymnasts, martial artists, boxers, wrestlers, golfers or any other of various athletes who physically work hard and compete. That is all fine and well. I am fully aware that running takes extreme endurance, that wrestling necessitates tremendous strength and that martial arts require acute balance, but the sad fact remains that these events are competitive athletic activities, not sports.\nOne final misconception occurs when people try to rationalize, "Well, if it's in the Olympics, then it's a sport." In reality, the Olympics are a conglomerate of arts, sports, contests and activities that test to see who is "faster, higher or stronger" (as the Olympic motto states), not who is necessarily the most "sport"-oriented. Even though I could spend another four paragraphs delineating how a majority of Olympic events do not fit my criterion for being classified as a sport, I would like to be brief and simply point out the fact that ballroom dancing is an Olympic event -- enough said.\nTrue sports will always be activities in which one side tries to hinder another, coupled with a tangible score that is achieved in a specific, concrete way. Until people realize that there are actually very few sports out there, the debate will linger on.