Thursday, Sept. 19

Alumni Association announces new president

It's unanimous.\nAll 10 members of the search committee headed by IU Vice President and Chief Administrative Officer Terry Clapacs named Kenneth A. Beckley as the president and chief executive officer of the IU Alumni Association. \nBeckley, former executive vice president and corporate spokesperson for H.H. Gregg Appliances and Electronics and former director of university relations at IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis, was appointed by IU President Myles Brand and will begin his tenure Feb. 1.\n"I am extremely excited and appreciate the confidence that the association and President Brand have in my ability to do the job," Beckley said.\nBeckley is the former national chair of the Alumni Association, serves on the IUB Athletics Committee, chaired the Armstrong Student Foundation Endowment Campaign, served on the Board of Advisors of the Student Foundation and is a member of the board of directors of the Advanced Research and Technology Institute.\nHis appointment stemmed from years of experience in leadership and management, trustee Pat Shoulders said.\nBeckley takes over the job after former IUAA president Jerry Tardy died in September.\nBeckley graduated from IU in 1962 with a degree in radio and television. He then worked as a broadcast journalist before joining H.H. Gregg. \nHe will draw on his management experience for his newest position.\n"I see this job as an excellent opportunity to use 40 years of business, leadership, personnel and fiscal management to better serve the alumni of IU," Beckley said.\nThe search committee saw all of this and more when it chose Beckley.\n"He's personable, he's knowledgeable, he has a passion for Indiana University, he has a diverse background in public service in business community and his entire working life reflects his dedication and devotion to hard work," Shoulders said. "I, like all members of the alumni association and the alumni family as a whole, am excited to have him in this position."\nBeckley's plan includes a number of ways in which to expand IUAA, which is currently one of the five largest organizations of its kind in the U.S. \nOne of his major goals is to involve a larger and more diverse group of alumni in the association.\n"I have lots of ideas," Beckley said. "I'm not the type who will go in and say, 'Here are all the answers.' I hope to engage my staff in discussing all the issues that we have."\nOne issue that Beckley identifies as a high priority is to increase the dues-paying membership of the association.\n"We don't want to increase the dues, just the number of people who pay them," Beckley said. "The dues now are a real bargain."\nAssociation members who pay dues are entitled to membership in the organization as well as membership in an IUAA club in their area. They also receive the Alumni Magazine and discounts on items such as hotels, restaurants and IUAA tour programs across the globe. Children of dues-paying members are also eligible for scholarship money. \nBeckley also wants to increase the scope of the IUAA where students are concerned.\n"I know when I was a student, I knew that there was an alumni association, but I really didn't know what they did," Beckley said.\nBecause studies show students involved in alumni associations are more likely to become involved alumni regarding volunteer work and financial giving, getting students involved in the Student Alumni Association is another priority for Beckley.\nThe SAA is an organization that is chiefly responsible for activities such as homecoming, Yell Like Hell, Senior Salute and the career fair. The SAA is looking forward to increased support with the IUAA.\n"They do a lot of our funding and help us put on many events," said Zach Waymire, vice president of University Relations for SAA. "Getting involved now will help ensure a good experience while they are students as well as more activity once they graduate and become alumni."\nWith many plans for his new job, Beckley is looking forward to his appointment date.\n"I can't wait until Feb. 1," he said. "Although I must admit that I've already begun to work with all this planning"