Saturday, Sept. 7

Four wrestlers move on to Nationals

This weekend is what the Hoosier wrestling team has been working toward all season. Four wrestlers will travel to Albany, NY to participate in the NCAA Championships this Thursday.\nFor one person, it's his last shot at the national title he covets. For another, it's his first championship. For the other two, it's their chance for redemption and to improve on last year's results.\nSenior Viktor Sveda, junior Greg Schaefer, sophomore Coyte Cooper, and freshman Pat DeGain will all compete at nationals this weekend.\nSveda is making his fourth-straight trip to the championship. He's a two time All-American with his best finish last year at third. Sveda (30-5) is seeded No. 5 and will take on Dave Colabella of James Madison. Colabella is 25-11 on the year.\nAlthough this is his last chance at the national championship, Sveda said he can't let the pressure bother him.\n"I have to go into it and wrestle my best," Sveda said. "It will only hurt me if I put too much pressure on myself. If I wrestle my best, I know I will get the result that I want."\nSchaefer is making his second appearance at the championship after being selected as the wildcard for the second time.\n"I think I'm pretty fortunate (to go) as a wildcard," Schaefer said. "Hopefully this year I can reinforce the reason the coaches voted me in. I'm just looking forward to it."\nSchaefer is 24-8 on the year. He will take on Willie Harris (19-5) of American University.\nCooper has been on a roll as of late. He finished third at the Big Ten Championships and felt he could have won it all. Cooper (21-8) would like to improve on the second-round loss he suffered last year.\n"This year I know that I can win. Last year I worried about how good everyone else was," Cooper said. "I believe that I can win every match that I step into. The coaches believe that I can win it."\nCooper is seeded No. 12 and will take on Jason Mester (9-6) of Central Michigan.\nDeGain is participating in his first national championship. DeGain (20-9) said he imagines this to be like nothing he has ever experienced before.\n"I expect it to be the toughest tournament I've wrestled in," DeGain said. "I just want to go in there and do the best that I can. I have to go in ready."\nDeGain will take on No. 11 seed David Shunamon (26-7) of Edinboro University.\nCoach Duane Goldman has high hopes for the four wrestlers that will compete. He knows what they are capable of doing.\n"They work all season for this. You have to take it one match at a time," Goldman said. "It's time to believe that they can do this"