Saturday, Sept. 14

Hoosiers get hot in Florida weather, finish 3rd

The women's golf team's play in its first two tournaments was a lot like the Bloomington weather. Both were inconsistent. Some days it seemed like spring, and sometimes the team practiced indoors for days in a row. Likewise in their tournaments, sometimes the team shot season-low rounds and sometimes it struggled. \nThen, over spring break, the team traveled to Florida and practiced every day in the warm climate. Now, its play has begun to follow suit. The team shot a 907 three-round total to finish in third place at the Lady Seahawk Invitational yesterday and Monday in its first tournament since spring break. \n"The weather was great in Florida and we got a lot of practicing and a lot of playing in, and I got my feel back," sophomore Karen Dennison said of spring break. "I think we improved a lot, it helps to get that practice in."\nThe Hoosiers opened the Lady Seahawk Invite with a 605 team score, shooting a 305 first round and a 300 second round. The team took fourth at the end of the first day. Lone senior Tiffany Fisher led the way for the Hoosiers as she shot two 73s and took third in the individual standings at the end of the first day.\n"I was really pleased with Tiff's performance (Monday)," Coach Sam Carmichael said in a press release. "We have been looking for Tiff to lower her scores this year and find some consistency and today she did that. The performance she put forth (Monday), is what you expect of a senior."\nDennison shot a 78 in the first round and a 72 in the second to tie for ninth in the individual standings after day one. \nOn the third day, Fisher continued to lead the way for the Hoosiers as the team shot a 302. Fisher shot another 73 to stay tied for third place overall in the individual standings with a 219, a new career three-round low. Dennison shot a 76 to stay tied for ninth, marking the sixth time in seven tournaments Dennison has finished in the top-15. Junior Cara Stuckey also shot a third-round 73 to finish in 23rd place.\nBoth Florida State and North Carolina State shot 904 team scores but the Wolfpack took the tournament title on a playoff win. Michigan, who beat the Hoosiers in their first three tournaments last fall, finished in fourth. \nFisher said before competing in the Lady Seahawk Invitational that spring break was the juncture where the team would come together and that she didn't worry too much about low finishes in the first two tournaments. \n"Usually the first two tournaments of the year are just a way to get out onto the course and get some experience," Fisher said. "We don't set our expectations very high for those first two tournaments because we didn't have chance to get out very much because of the weather. Spring break is our way to get ready for the spring season and really prepare for the upcoming Big Ten season."\nThe Hoosiers will look to build on their third-place finish at home in their next meet. IU hosts the Indiana Invitational April 6-7.