Thursday, Sept. 19

Hoosiers Outrun Cancer to inform public

An estimated 4,000 participants will race for a cure Oct. 20, in the second annual Hoosiers Outrun Cancer 5K run/walk. But this year, Hoosiers Outrun Cancer is about much more than the walk itself. In the days leading up to the run the Bloomington Hospital Foundation is presenting a series of free presentations on topics relating to cancer and the public. The first lecture was Sept. 12, and they will continue each Wednesday until the race. The second lecture in the series, "Our Environment and Cancer," took place in the Wegmiller Auditorium in the Bloomington Hospital Wednesday. David McSwane, an associate professor at the School of Public and Environmental Affairs at IU-Purdue University at Indianapolis, said he was eager to be a part of the educational series as a speaker. "As a public health professional, I have always been concerned that approximately 85 percent of all cancers are caused by environmental agents," McSwane said. "Granted, many cases are caused by smoking, nonetheless, there are substances in our air, water, food and workplace that may cause cancer when people are exposed for long periods of time." McSwane cited smoking as the number one cause of cancer, since nearly one third of U.S. cancer deaths are related to cigarettes. In fact, lung cancer recently overtook breast cancer as the number one cancer killer in women. Environmental causes of cancer also include asbestos, CFCs, radon and PCBs, a polymer liquid used in electrical insulation. The Bloomington environment, however, was classified as fairly clean, McSwane said. The only cause for concern, he said, could be sport fisherman who eat fish from streams and rivers in areas known to have high levels of PCBs. This risk can be lowered by skinning the fish instead of baking them whole. Dr. Kathleen McTigue of the Dermatology Center of Southern Indiana, spoke on the dangers of skin cancer. Her presentation focused on the importance of awareness among college students. Nearly 80 percent of sun damage occurs before the age of 20, but the affects of this damage isn't seen until the 40s and 50s. This means that college students have the greatest risk when it comes to skin cancer, and not just from the sun. "Honestly, tanning beds are like poison," McTigue said. "Getting a tan is the worst thing you can do to your skin. (A tan) is simply evidence of skin damage." McTigue encouraged students to wear hats and sunscreen every time they go outside. She also stressed the importance of sunglasses with UV protection, as 10 percent of melanoma occurs in the eye. Other lectures in the educational series include "What Really Happens to My Body When I Smoke?" and "How Can I Help Cancer Patients?" with speakers ranging from IU women's basketball coach Kathi Bennett to area doctors and IU professors. All lectures take place in Bloomington Hospital's Wegmiller Auditorium at 7 pm. The Oct. 10 presentation, "What Are the Latest Cancer Treatments?" features Dr. Kathy Miller, an assistant professor at the IU School of Medicine in Indianapolis. Miller aided researcher Dr. Jerri Nelson, who discovered that she had breast cancer while completing research at the South Pole. From Indianapolis, Miller assisted in Nelson's treatment until she was transported from the South Pole to Indianapolis. The final presentation by the Hoosiers Outrun Cancer committee will be a lecture presented by John Seffrin, the executive director of the American Cancer Society, 7 p.m. Oct. 18 in the Whittenberger Auditorium at the Indiana Memorial Union. Hoosiers Outrun Cancer, which began in 2000, aims to raise funds to support cancer patients and to create awareness of cancer education, support and outreach opportunities throughout the Bloomington Hospital and Healthcare System. Last year's event consisted of 2,300 participants and 200 volunteers who raised more than $200,000 for cancer research. "It's very rewarding working with so many dedicated people putting forth great effort towards the success of Hoosiers Outrun Cancer," said Diane Ballard, event coordinator for the Bloomington Hospital Foundation. Contact staff reporter Lauren Elizabeth Morrill or call 855-0760.
Hoosiers out run cancer