Friday, Oct. 18

Kids see magic in 'Potter'

LONDON -- Director Chris Columbus got rave reviews from the kids who saw "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone," which is a change from the reaction he's gotten in the past from adult film critics. \n"The critics have never been kind to me," said Columbus, whose past films include "Adventures in Babysitting" and "Bicentennial Man," as well as more successful movies like "Home Alone." \nBut "this film feels different," he said. "I do know that I love the picture, and that's really important -- though in the end, who knows?" \nAfter attending the premiere in London on Sunday, 12-year-old Alex Roberts wrote in Monday's Guardian newspaper, "I don't think I'll watch it nine times, but it will certainly be one of my favorite films." \nThe Times of London handed over its review to Barney Macintyre, age 6 and three-quarters: "This is great, the best film I've ever seen, way better than any of the Disney cartoons." \nAnd 9-year-old Jessica Hatrick's enthusiasm made a front-page headline in the Sunday Telegraph on Sunday. Calling the adaptation of J.K. Rowling's novel "the best movie I have ever seen," Jessica offered a few minor caveats -- 12-year-old Daniel Radcliffe in the title role was "a good actor, but he looks like the woman on 'The Weakest Link,' which is a bit off-putting." \nThe movie is being released in the United States as "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." It opens on both sides of the Atlantic Nov. 16.