Saturday, Sept. 7

Trike race offers excitement, but not seriousness

For those who wanted to be Little 500 riders but didn't want to put in the time, there's the Mini 500. The Mini 500 is the tricycle race tonight that brings together the seriousness of the actual race, with the humor of crazy costume designs and team presentations.\nThe Mini 500 will take place at Assembly Hall tonight at 7:30. Admission is free with a Little 500 ticket. It's $8 at the door without.\nThe Mini 500 was started in 1955 as a way for women to get involved in the festivities of Little 500. Now it's turned into a large event that includes over 60 teams. Besides the actual trike race, there are seven awards that go out. The awards include such categories as dazzling dressers, spectacular team banner and spectacular spill. Senior Maggie Broom said that the Steering Committee had to create more awards this year.\n"Every year the teams have been more and more creative (with their costumes)," Broom said. "We felt we had to add more awards. Maybe it will get people to become even more creative then before."\nSenior Brett Spitzer is a member of the Indiana University Student Foundation Steering Committee that runs this event. He said it's a good tradition that gets many more people involved in the Little 500 activities.\n"It's a really good time for the students," Spitzer said. "It's for those who really didn't want to put in the effort, time, and money of the actual race."\nThe theme for this year's event is "Trikin' in the U.S.A." The Steering Committee thought it would be good to go with a patriotic theme. \nThere are three divisions for the race: men's, women's and coed. The race itself consists of two laps per team, half a lap by team member. There is a tournament format that will determine the winner.\nThe Nasty Boyz is the top mens' qualifier. Charlie's Angels are the number one seed for the women. Captain Planets is the top co-ed team.\nBroom believes that there are two types of teams that enter the Mini 500. There are those who take it seriously and practice and then there are those who are out for a good time. Broom thinks it's important to have both types.\n"It's good to have a combination. It's adds to the whole night," Broom said. "Sometimes the people who are here just for fun actually advance. They surprise themselves."\nSenior Shannon Hoffman is in her fourth year of riding in the race. She is part of the Evan's Scholars team, Charlie's Angels. Her team is the defending champion and finished second the year before that. She said she started riding in the Mini 500 because she wanted to be a part of the festivities.\n"I wanted to be a part of Little 500," Hoffman said. "I think it's fun to explain to people the idea of riding tricycles. It's kind of fun. We are pretty confident we'll win again."\nSophomore Adam Barry is a member of the Hoosier Hicks. He said his team's costume design is a secret. He is a member of Evan's Scholars, and said he is riding to represent his house.\n"Our (Little 500) bike team didn't qualify this year so we have to represent. This gives the people in our house something to cheer for," Barry said. "We plan to win. We're just really good. We plan on leaving it all out on the track."\nIUSF member, junior Nicole Rosi hopes many people will come out in support of the event.\n"People just do it to have fun," Rosi said. "It's just another event that people can feel a part of"