Sunday, Oct. 6

Don't forget to (stop and*) smell the roses

Welcome back to Bloomington, the epicenter of arts in Indiana. The city of Bloomington and IU have much to offer in the coming semester. There is a variety of opportunities, ranging from classic to quirky, to satisfy your cultural hunger. We, the arts editors for fall 2002, look forward to embarking on this arts adventure alongside you.\nThe fall season for the IU Auditorium is sure to have something for everyone. Shows like "Grease" and "Saturday Night Fever" are scheduled as well as musical performances like "Christmas with The Pops" and "The Temptations."\nNew this season is the "Live Entertainment Pack," a convenient way for students to place live entertainment on their bursar account. Students can order the $100 vouchers at the box office at the IU Auditorium, and they work like cash at the auditorium, Union Board and IU Theatre and Drama productions.\nOff campus, there is much to see and do in Bloomington. The Buskirk-Chumley Theatre, 114 E. Kirkwood Ave., boasts an eclectic lineup and inexpensive shows. Other local theater productions can be enjoyed in the John Waldron Arts Center, 122 S. Walnut St., and the Bloomington Playwrights Project, 312 S. Washington St.\nBloomington Parks and Recreation Summer Performing Arts Series runs until the end of August, showcasing local talent on Friday and Sunday evenings. Events are free of charge and open to all.\nFor the popular music crowd, clubs such as Rhino's All Age Music Club, 325 1/2 S. Walnut St., and Axis Night Club, 419 N. Walnut St., feature weekend concerts as well as a way to meet fellow students. \nThose looking to soak up some formal "no touch" art need to look no farther than the many art galleries, several within walking distance of campus. Galleries can be a welcome break from the summer heat as well as from the pressures of classes and studying. On-campus galleries are sure to suit your fancy with rotating exhibitions as well as permanent fixtures. You can spend an entire day in the IU Art Museum where you will find three floors of breathtaking artwork, but one thing you won't find is a right angle in the construction of the building. The structure is, in itself, a piece of art designed by world-renowned architect I. M. Pei. Other on-campus art galleries are the School of Fine Arts (SOFA) Gallery and The Gallery in the Indiana Memorial Union.\nWhile exploring the arts on campus, no trip is complete without a stop in the Lilly Library, which boasts an amazing collection of rare texts, including a Gutenberg Bible and the original manuscript of "On The Road."\nWhile observing can prove soothing and inspirational, creating a work of art at The Latest Glaze, 1301 S. College Mall Rd. and 530 E. Kirkwood Ave., might allow you to release some early semester jitters. The pay-by-the-hour pottery studio runs promotional Midnight Madness studio times, providing an inexpensive way to create a masterpiece. Group rates are also available.\nMore serious gallery-goers are sure to come away from other off-campus galleries satisfied. Argentum Jewelry, 205 N. College Ave., boasts award-winning works of art from around the world and By Hand Gallery, 109 Fountain Sq., contains the largest collection of local contemporary crafts in the area.\nIf the art you seek is culinary, Bloomington has much to offer, boasting a large collection of eclectic restaurants. Your palate can travel around the world without ever leaving town, with restaurants ranging from exotic Tibetan, Greek, Indian and Thai to the tamer tastes of Italian and American cuisine. \nThe best way to sample world cuisine on a student budget is to attend CultureFest, which will feature free food offered by the cultural houses and cultural support areas, as well as free entertainment by IU student groups.\nWe hope you enjoy your fall semester and check out all that is available to you in Bloomington. Don't get so caught up in your textbooks that you neglect to enjoy what is around you.