Friday, Oct. 18

Group 'tempts' audience as auditorium schedule opens

Motown group kick starts 2002-2003 auditorium season

The IU Auditorium kicked off its 2002-2003 season last Thursday evening with a singing and dancing package that those in attendance enjoyed watching. \n"The Temptations," the Motown supergroup, lived up to their high standard in stage performance, taking things to new levels of excitement and value for the almighty college dollar.\nOpening for the "Temps" were IU's fabled a cappella men, "Straight No Chaser." \nThe seven men sauntered onto stage in tuxedos and cried out their theme song "No Chaser."\nOverall, the "Straight No Chaser" performance was very good, but sadly I think the audience was overlooking the opener's fine work and demanding "The Temptations."\n"Straight No Chaser" exited stage right to exuberant applause from the college audience (not so much down in front with the adult audience), and everyone eagerly sat waiting for the "Temps."\nOnstage was the "Temps" band playing a brass opening while a video screen dropped and projected images of "The Temptations" throughout the years.\nThe exciting presentation made you realize just how much this group has accomplished in its 41 years of existence.\nReflecting the Temptation style conversion from a brassy 60s pop group to a more mature 90s/00s adult contemporary/R&B style, the musical director quieted the brass and took in a smooth, soft ballad keyboard solo whispering out at its end, "Heavenly Father, you are truly truly AWESOME!" \nAnd with that jump in tone on "awesome," three before unseen rows of lights began flashing, and two more very bright sets up above the stage bouncing in strobe fashion with the beat and while the audience sat dazzled, five Temptations emerged: Green, black, red, yellow, and white. \nVery quickly, as the applause was growing, the energy catapulted into a unison clap as "The Way You Do The Things You Do" was moaned.\nThe choreography was undoubtedly complicated, entertaining, and powerfully energetic. \n"The Temptations" managed to overcome any barriers as an "oldies" group just then. \nWhile still performing the song, "Papa Was a Rolling Stone," and after the musical director thankfully stepped back, the younger Temptations managed to top themselves with a dance move that I'm still impressed by. \nBy this point, the water bottles were nearly empty, the towels used to wipe the brow, and after a jelly-roll back and forth between the five colors, they began a "Pot of Temptation Stew" which consisted of a lot of old "Temps" songs, stirred up, led by Otis, and tasted by those standing up applauding.\nWith that hot introduction, everyone's familiar favorite bass riff began and "My Girl," the hands were clapping above the head and everyone stood fighting not to fly away in the excitement.\nSome of my favorite dance moves from the Fab Five during this montage were "Go Right Ahead Big Daddy," "The Elephant Trunk," "Teapot Dome Walk 'Round," and "Old Man Getting His Liver & Onions." \nThey were just getting started. Some of the suit jackets came off for a bit, and at last, the signature tune that the audience was waiting for in its fully 1965 glory, an all-time favorite that made Ron Tyson ask the rhetorical question, "Can we take it up still to another level," and the audience leapt to its feet singing along to "My Girl." \nAs it rained outside, Temptations fans did have sunshine inside as nearly 20 minutes was devoted to the superhit. \nTwo lucky concert goers came on stage and sang in a Star Search 2002 environment, and senior Brian Jones even proposed to his girlfriend, junior Mandy Blastick. \nThe tune reached its peak and the five supermen grooved off stage, each being handed a towel and a bottle of water. \nThe band continued to rock and play a funk melody while the crowd continued its thunderous stomping and clapping. \nIf one thing proved true about "The Temptations," it's that their fans love them.\nThe house lights were raised and the crowd dispersed. \nA moment of IU history had passed. \nAdded to the database list of Temptations performances on Oct.11, 1969 and Nov.16, 1985 was Sept.19, 2002. \nI hope the Temptations return to IU in the future so I can not only relive 40 years of golden hits and amazing performances, but experience one night of true entertainment.