Friday, Oct. 18

Nothin' but soul

The Temptations bring 40 years of rhythm and blues to IU

Many great artists have defined rhythm and blues, but few have had the longtime recording power of The Temptations.\nFormed in 1961 in the heart of the Detroit Motown scene, The Temptations remain hard at work recording new material and performing the energetic pop, soul and funk that skyrocketed the group to the top of the charts in the '60s and '70s.\nSongs like "Get Ready" and "My Girl" are now standard fare for "oldies" stations, but even today they represent a connection to everyone's youth. \nRecording everything from pop songs like "The Way You Do The Things You Do" to politically-charged soul/funk songs like "Papa Was A Rolling Stone," original and sole-surviving member Otis Williams recalls very well his 41 years with the group. \n"I was young like you all startin' out," Williams said. "I was maybe 18 or 19 and wanted to sing and perform; (I had) a strong desire to sing and perform."\nAnd tonight at 8 p.m., Otis and the other Temptations take the stage at the IU Auditorium to kick-off the venue's 2002-2003 season. \nDoug Booher, director of the IU Auditorium, said he is excited about tonight's performance \n"These songs are still alive, living songs that we really get a chance to enjoy," he said. \nOpening the set will be a special event in itself as IU's male A cappella group "Straight No Chaser" gets a chance to open for these living legends of Motown. \nFor those expecting a dry "oldies" concert, something most college students only know as "Motown," then perhaps this isn't the right show to come out and watch.\n"Each performance is a workout," Otis said. "We still jump around as much as possible. We consider ourselves athletes with our dancin'. It's a 75-minute exercise in singin', dancin' and havin' a ball."\nThe lean-to, slick dance choreography associated with '60s tunes is a product of The Temptations' style.\nOver the years, The Temptations have evolved.\nThe NBC miniseries "Earrisistible," in the spring of 2000, was well received by fans. This effort even led to a 59th album, "Awesome," released in 2001.\nThe ever-energetic Otis put it in terms that define The Temptations' philosophy on balancing the old and the new.\n"We record when it's time to record," he said. "The Temptations are about quality, and along the way, we've picked up quantity. This is our 59th album, and what we try to do is assemble the best of everything: Producers, studio, writers, lyrics and even a few new dance moves. It's just the thing you do." \nThe Temptations have performed twice at the Auditorium: 1969 and 1985.\n"A reason they are asked to return is simply because they are so popular and everyone grew up knowing their songs," Booher said.\nPopularity and recognition have led to excellent sales, but tickets are still available for tonight's performance.\nMatt Mindrum, a customer relations specialist at the Auditorium, said to grab tickets early.\n"We have sold two-thirds of the house for Thursday's performance, and expect to have significant sales at the door," Mindrum said. "There are many good seats still available in both the orchestra and the balcony."\nTickets can be purchased at the IU Auditorium box office between 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. IU students receive a $10 to $15 discount per ticket with a student ID. With the discount, ticket prices are $22 for the orchestra and $17 for the balcony seats.