Friday, Oct. 18

Around the Arts

Gannett buys Como's Florida mansion\nWEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - The son of the founder of the company that owns USA Today has bought singer Perry Como's mansion, court records show. \nDeeds filed at the Palm Beach County courthouse show that Dixon Gannett, son of the man who started the media group Gannett Co., Inc., paid $3.25 million for the home on Jupiter Inlet Colony. It was unclear when the house was sold. \nFrank Gannett founded Gannett in 1906. The company owns 94 daily newspapers and 22 television stations nationwide, including USA Today. \nDixon Gannett also owns a home on the Loxahatchee River's, where Fort Jupiter stood 150 years ago. Gannett bought the home in 1988. \nComo, known for songs including "Hot Diggity" and "Papa Loves Mambo," died in May 2001 at his home in Jupiter after a lengthy illness. He was 87.

Group finds Beatles photo collection\nDUNDEE, Scotland - Archivists at the University of Dundee have found about 500 previously unpublished photographs of the Beatles and plan to display them later this year, the university said Monday. \nNegatives of the photos were among an archive of 130,000 images given to the university, on Scotland's east coast, by the stepson of Hungarian photojournalist Michael Peto in 1971. \nMany of the pictures show the band members relaxing during filming of their second feature film, "Help!". \nCarol Pope, a university spokeswoman, said archivists found the collection while they were sorting through the files of negatives getting ready to transfer them into a digital format. \n"Because the vast collection of Michael Peto negatives was so big, no one had an idea exactly what was in it until now," she said. "It really is a fantastic discovery after all these years. Although it is hard to say how many, most of the images will not have been published before." \nA few of the photos have been hung in one of the college's buildings, and others will go on display in Dundee and London.

Ryder Trial Postponed Until Oct. 15\nBEVERLY HILLS, Calif. - Winona Ryder's shoplifting trial, which was scheduled to start Monday, has been postponed until next week. \nSuperior Court Judge Elden Fox said the prosecutor and an attorney for the Oscar-nominated actress met Friday and agreed on the new trial date, Oct. 15, because Ryder's attorney, Mark Geragos, had a conflict. \nRyder, who co-starred in this year's film "Mr. Deeds," wasn't present for the brief hearing on Monday. \nRyder was arrested at the Saks Fifth Avenue store in Beverly Hills on Dec. 12, 2001. \nThe 30-year-old is charged with second-degree burglary, grand theft, vandalism and possession of a controlled substance. She could face three years in prison if convicted.