Friday, Oct. 18

Around The Arts

Rooney apologizes for remarks on women reporters\nNEW YORK -- Andy Rooney conceded he probably shouldn't have said anything in the first place about women reporting from the sidelines at NFL games.\nHe stopped short of apologizing for his remarks on CBS' "60 Minutes."\nEarlier this month, Rooney said in an interview on the "Boomer Esiason Show" on the MSG Network: "I'm not a sexist person, but a woman has no business being down there trying to make some comment about a football game."\nThe curmudgeonly commentator said Sunday the statement was "a derogatory remark I would have been better off not having made." But he didn't change his mind that women have no place on the sidelines at football games.\n"I wish I hadn't included all women covering football, some are quite good," the 83-year-old said. "But most of the women are there because they're good looking, not because they know the game."\nRooney said the media and women's groups vilified him for his initial remarks.\n"Anyone who says I'm sexist knows less about me than those women do about football," he said.\nCountry network searches for next American idol\nNEW YORK -- USA Network and Sony Music are looking for the next American country idol.\nThe cable channel is teaming up with the record company for a nationwide search for what the "next great country music artist." The cattle call will be televised as part of the new series "Nashville Star."\nThe show will follow the pool of contestants as it whittles its way down to the eventual winner, who will get a contract with Sony Music Nashville.\n"Our show is open to talented country music performers from all ages and all walks of life," said Chris Sloan, USA Network's senior vice president, alternative programming.\n"We're not looking for the next one hit wonder, but the next superstar for the long hall. Our 'Nashville Star' is not a pre-manufactured star created by the industry, but a true artist discovered by the fans."\nThe show is similar to Fox's recent hit series, "American Idol." The winner of that contest, Kelly Clarkson, has already scored a No. 1 hit.\n"Nashville Star," holds its first auditions Tuesday in Nashville, then visit cities across the country to find talent. The show is set to debut on USA early next year.\nVirginia Opera and Virginia Symphony are in harmony\nNORFOLK, Va. -- The Virginia Opera and Virginia Symphony have signed a three-year contract, ending several months of negotiations.\nThe new agreement benefits both groups, said Stanley Barr, the opera's counsel.\n"Both organizations should have a clearer and more meaningful relationship than they have had in recent years," he said last week.\nKey points include the guaranteed number of paid musicians per production and the number of "services" per season. A "service" is three hours of rehearsal or performance.\nThe opera agreed to a per-service fee calculated on a guaranteed minimum number of musicians per full-orchestra production. If more than the minimum number of musicians are in the pit, the opera company will pay for those additional players, said symphony board President Winthrop Short.