Saturday, Sept. 7

Ballet performance touches the soul

IU Ballet Theatre has once again outdone itself. In their "Tribute to the American Spirit," they have captured, more than words could, the striking spirit and diversity that characterize our nation. From the classically elegant ballet performed in the "Stars and Stripes Pas de Deux" to the stunningly raw and passionate energy described by the motions of "Voices of the Last Seal" and "Hymning Slews," the students and teachers of our ballet theatre have managed a remarkable display of what happens when imagination is articulated. \nThe evening began with the simple but touching "American Quartet," choreographed by Virginia Cesbron to music Antonin Dvorak first wrote in response to his arrival to the United States in 1892. This piece was everything ballet was supposed to be: simple, graceful, and beautiful. Elizabeth Gildreath, Lydia Haug, and Joshua Sutton aptly performed the piece.\nFollowing Dvorak's "American Quartet" came "Stars and Stripes Pas de Deux," choreographed by the infamous George Balanchine. The ballet was set to Hershey Kay's arrangement of Phillip Sousa's Music. \nThis piece was so elegant and classical, I thought for a moment that I was watching the Nutcracker. Dancers Jennifer Moll and Stefan Calka were extremely talented and perfect for this revitalizing number.\nBut "Voices of the Last Seal" was the true masterpiece of this program. \nA remembrance of Sept. 11, 2001, it so artfully captured the pain and re-growth stemming from the tragedy that it had audience members in tears. Choreographed by Jacques Cesbron to music by Robert Moran, "Voices" had such violent opposition, surging from raw passion to gentle sorrow, that it was at times almost difficult to watch. \nJoshua Sutton, the bond that held "Voices" together, should be hailed for his expressive ability and absolute immersion in the piece. Cesbron has again proved his genius as a choreographer. \nThe last number in the fall show was "Hymning Slews," choreographed by guest choreographer Mark Godden to John Adams' "Shaker Loops." It was obvious that this piece had a vision, which many could say it achieved. It was visually interesting, and the fast pace proved a well-met challenge to the performers, but the statement was almost too strong after the perfect articulation of the American spirit in healing that was seen in "Voices." \nOverall it was an incredibly strong performance, with ups and downs that managed to lift us higher than where we began.