Saturday, Sept. 7

Comedy à la française brings laughs and entertainment

Robin Williams and Nathan Lane à la française? I think not! "La Cage aux Folles" is the original French adaptation of Jean Poiret's play by the same name. The play and its film version were later tailored to English-speaking (read: American) audiences in the more recent "The Birdcage" with Williams, Nathan Lane, and Gene Hackman. \nThursday, an audience of about 10 to 15 students, faculty and staff at Foster International had the opportunity to laugh at the hilarious antics of Renato and Albin, the center of the film's drama. There's a quite simple recipe to this film: take two aging gay men, mix in a 20-year-old man about to get married, and add a pinch of conservatism in the form of his fiancée's family. Oh, one thing -- the young man, Laurent, is Renato's son.\nRenato, played by Ugo Tognazzi, is a makeup-wearing, silk-clothed owner of a nightclub, "La Cage aux Folles." Tognazzi masterfully captures Renato's character -- everything from the gestures to the way he talks, walks, acts, and smiles. One cannot help but feel what it's like to be in his shoes. It's quite apparent that he has fought for his lifestyle and isn't about to give it up -- he is completely comfortable.\nAlbin, superbly portrayed by Michel Serrault, is the drama queen (literally). Every night, he puts on the make-up, the skirts, and the high heels to perform on the stage of "La Cage." Instead of being Albin - the slightly weird male, he becomes an altogether different persona: Zaza Napoli. Serrault gives a very believable account of the troubles and tribulations of being adored. \nThe main premise of the film is a perfect set-up for some classic, insane, and hilarious screwball comedy. After Laurent announces his intended marriage, the two families must meet for the first time. Renato and even the drama queen try to make things seem normal and presentable for the Charrier family - a conservative representative of the "Union for Moral Order." Of course, it's nearly impossible to cover up Renato and Albin's real lifestyle - and especially to hide "La Cage."\nThe movie is likable after the first five minutes. The music, the costumes, and especially the surroundings add to the 70's flavor of the film. Serrault and Tognazzi have great chemistry - making their interaction a pleasure to watch. \nThe script alone is hilarious -- it's rich in entertaining and amusing moments. One needs not to be familiar with French (the movie is subtitled) or the culture of the 1970's (the movie would be uproarious in 1970, in 2002, or 2032). The script is really well written with larger-then-life characters and zany dialogue.\nDirected by French filmmaker Edouard Molinaro, who also co-adapted the screenplay, the movie has spawned two sequels. Molinaro received an Oscar nod for directing the film. The pace is even and tight, making this a rare kind of comedy that hits the mark nearly every single time - there are very few moments of confusion. I credit the film's funny and likeable atmosphere to both Molinaro's directing as well as the lively chemistry between Tognazzi and Serrault. \nOverall, if you've seen "The Birdcage" you owe yourself to see this. While I liked "The Birdcage," the original - "La Cage aux Folles" - has more to offer. This is a great comedy you can just pop into the VCR - or the DVD player for all you lovers of modernity, watch and enjoy. Humor lovers and world cinema fans, you should not miss this one.