Sunday, Oct. 6

Hospitalized freshman leads police to Chi Phi Party

A report of a female student taken to Bloomington Hospital for alcohol poisoning prompted police to investigate a party at the Chi Phi fraternity early Friday.\nFreshman Kylie McKay was cited at Bloomington Hospital for illegal consumption. Those with her at the hospital reported there was a party at the fraternity where Mckay had consumed "punch," said IU Police Department Sgt. Tim Lewis.\nMcKay declined to comment on the matter.\nAfter questioning those at Bloomington Hospital, IUPD officers arrived at the fraternity in response to the information they received, Lewis said.\nUpon arrival, police were initially denied admittance to the fraternity house, but were let in after notifying Dean of Students Richard McKaig.\nLewis said during their investigation at the house they detected a smell of alcohol in a back room where it was evident a party had occurred.\n"We entered the back room, where approximately 25 individuals were dancing," Lewis said.\nEight students were given citations, and a garbage can suspected of having held "punch" tested positive for alcohol, Lewis said.\nThe case is now in the hands of the dean's office.\nMcKaig said he hasn't seen the police report, but said he could not speculate on what, if any, administrative action would be taken against the fraternity.\nChi Phi Chapter president, Drew Richey, did not return a phone message by press time.