Friday, Oct. 18

Local artists get their chance

Aspiring musicians and other artists take part in Bloomington Open Mic night

If you're like Dan Ovando, a high school student from local jazz band Le Petit Combo, "you'll play wherever you can, just for the hell of it."\nFortunately, local music venues welcome that attitude.\nWith settings as diverse as the culture and moods that change with the tempo, downtown Bloomington becomes an open forum for musicians and poets alike. It allows free music and poetry to fill its cafes and streets. Not only does it allow appreciation to its viewers but opportunities for artists as well.\nLe Petit Combo, a group of five area high school guys who play twice a month at the aptly named Le Petit Café, 316 W. 6th St. They say playing outside and for an open audience is the only way to play.\n"It sets this town apart," said Ovando, who plays bass for the group.\nLast Saturday, the group made that statement true.\nAs a chill grasped the air and soft-colored lights lit the open patio outside Laughing Planet Café on Kirkwood, a small pick-up truck pulled up to the sidewalk, carrying the five boys in suits. Starting at 9 p.m., they played two 45 minute sets, using two saxes, a bass, a keyboard and a set of drums. They drew a crowd of over 30 and filled the air with sounds of jazz.\nSauntering in slowly at first, passerbys slowly began to tap their feet to the beat.\nAt times soothing, at times cheery with taps from the snare, the culture of jazz flowed.\nSeveral other Bloomington spots also share this image, from late-night jazz to folk or whoever is willing to play or stand up and express their talent.\nSoma, downstairs from Laughing Planet, hosts "Open-Mic Poetry Nights" on the first Wednesday of every month. The events are sponsored by Matrix, an organization that allows artists to express themselves. Music isn't played here, but the rhythm of snapping fingers and the melody of poetry permeate the room.\nAnother place for the aspired to inspire is every Thursday night, on-campus at Collins Living Learning Center. Beginning at 8 p.m., musicians and poets perform for all who will listen. It's the perfect opportunity for freshman Tyler Anderson, who practices his guitar daily.\n"It's a chance to get heard and show people your expression," he said.\nFreshman Katie Combs said it's also an expression of Bloomington's diversity.\n"I feel it's a very good way to show that we have so much to offer," she said.\nMusicians waiting to play or poets with something to say -- venture to Le Petit, join in once a month at Soma, or express yourself Thursdays at Collins.