Sunday, Sept. 8

Run for Jill raises $10,000

Fun day raises funds for patients, scholarships

Runners and walkers from the campus and the Bloomington community gathered Saturday to remember missing IU student Jill Behrman and raise money for student scholarships and charity. \nAbout 1,500 people participated in the annual 5K Jill Behrman Run for the Endzone, which is organized by the Division of Recreational Sports. It is held in honor of Jill Behrman, who disappeared from Bloomington while riding her bike May 31, 2000.\nSaturday's race raised approximately $10,000 to be distributed between the Jill Behrman Emerging Leader Scholarship and Jill's House, a home for cancer patients receiving care at the IU Proton Therapy Facility.\nEric and Marilyn Behrman, Jill's parents, and Brian Behrman, Jill's brother, started the racers off at 10:15 a.m. at the Mellencamp Pavilion.\n"(The event) is a fun day for students and the community," Eric Behrman said. "All of us come together and raise money for Jill's House and the scholarships".\nSeveral fraternities, sororities and Bloomington businesses and organizations participated this year. The Bloomington South High School Girls' Soccer team, Delta Upsilon, Kappa Delta, the IU Alumni Association, the School of Public and Environmental Affairs, Briscoe and Forest Residential Halls all had big teams in the race. The IUAA sent 60 participants while SPEA had 57 representatives, according to a statement.\nJoanne Orrange, the Division of Recreational Sports' Assistant Director for Special Events, said the event was also a great way "to raise awareness of safety issues and implement all the components of wellness."\nThere was a Health and Wellness fair where runners and the community could visit over 30 vendors. The vendors provided services such as health screenings, safety training, free massages and children's activities. The Dew Daddies provided live entertainment.\nAbout 200 volunteers helped organize and coordinate the events that went along with the run. \n"It's personal," volunteer Stacey Martindale, a senior, said. "I went to high school with Jill; it's the least I could do to show support for her and her family." \nNot all the volunteers knew Jill, but still decided to show support for her and her family. \n"It's a good cause and good way to get to know more people in the Bloomington community," senior Melissa Whiteman said. "If Jill was still here she would be doing this with us."\nBrian Behrman, Jill's brother and an IU graduate, said his family appreciates all the support they have received.\n"The experience has been amazing, the total amount of support," he said. "There are so many people here I recognize and so many more I don't -- people taking time off to come support my sister." \nThe race, which is also an intramural event, draws a competitive crowd.\nRobert Comingone came in first place in the Overall Men's category with a time of 17 minutes, 18 seconds. Crossing the finish line second was Andreas Maher, with a time of 17 minutes, 21 seconds.\nGraduate student Kimberly Vest, was the winner of the Overall Women's category, running the course in 20 minutes, 21 seconds. Second place was junior Christie Terrell, with a time of 20 minutes, 33 seconds.\n"This is an awesome race," Terrell said. "There are so many people so it is nice to know you beat so many."\nNot all the runners were there for the competition.\n"(The course) is only 3.1 miles," Orrange said. "Participants don't have to be the best runners to participate and still be involved"