Sunday, Oct. 6

Another raffle for IUSA's Corvette

It comes with an LS1 V8 engine, is supplied by the power of 350 horses under the hood, and gets 25 miles per gallon. The 2003 Chevrolet Corvette can provide for a "life in the fast lane." \nJust ask Michella Taylor.\nTaylor is the 31-year-old IU student who won the illustrious sportscar in the IU Student Association's "Vote Hard" giveaway. Originally, students who voted in this month's election would be eligible to win the car. But amid controversy, the Corvette was made eligible to any IU student.\nNow, it's up for grabs again.\nTaylor placed the car up for auction this week on eBay, the world's largest online trading center. Taylor said the primary reason for selling the car was that she and her family wanted to move.\n"The car will give us an opportunity to make that happen sooner than it would otherwise," she said. "Living in a safer home environment is more important for us right now."\nTaylor had planned to sell the car and buy one that was more inexpensive, but opted to place the car up for auction instead.\nThe car itself is not worth its original sticker value, and Taylor will still have to pay federal and state taxes on the actual value of the car, driving her decision to ditch the car. \nTaylor said there was a reserve placed on the car online. Wednesday night, the Web site indicated the reserve had not been met, and that the latest bid was around $35,000. But Taylor said she doesn't have to take the highest bid.\n"I might get hung up more on getting the actual title (for the car)," she said. "Apparently, there's a problem with getting the tax ID number. So, I actually haven't received the title yet, but there is a potential buyer that we're negotiating with."\nLooking back, Taylor said she feels the contest wasn't such a bad idea. \n"A lot of people are mad that (IUSA) gave away this car. Some people said a $5,000 scholarship would have been better," she said. "A sports car intrigues students more."\nJunior Judd Arnold, IUSA vice president of administration, said he is thrilled the car could benefit someone's life. Shortly after IUSA executives discovered the election clause in the contest violated federal election laws, dissent grew among the ranks within the group. Some executives even considered selling the car. But Arnold said he feels better knowing it will make a difference.\n"I hope she gets a lot of money for it and it makes a large difference in her life," Arnold said. "On a personal level, I feel a lot better knowing she won. I think everyone can agree it probably went to the best person despite whether (the contest) was a good idea or bad one."\nIUSA Student Body President Bill Gray, a junior, said he wishes Taylor and her family the best.\n"I'm glad that Michella is going to use the car in a way that will better her and her family's life," Gray said. "Maybe she'll be able to finish school with the car."\nIn fact, those are Taylor's plans. \nTaylor said she considers herself lucky. \n"It has been a sacrifice these past three years going back to school," she said. "It has been a struggle to go to school part time, work and maintain a household." \nTaylor plans to earn her associate's degree in criminal justice in May. She said her goal is to get a job and then return to IU to earn her bachelor's.\n"So it pays to go back to school," she said. "That's been our family joke."

Staff Writer Corinne Reynolds contributed to this report.