Saturday, Sept. 14

Around the arts

Science fiction author Jerry Sohl dies at 88\nTHOUSAND OAKS, Calif. -- Jerry Sohl, author of the science fiction books The Transcendent Man and The Altered Ego, has died. He was 88. \nSohl, who also wrote for the television shows "Star Trek" and "The Twilight Zone," died Monday at a Thousand Oaks hospital. The cause of death was not released. \nBorn in Los Angeles, Sohl dropped out of college for a career in journalism. He worked as a photographer, police reporter, critic and reviewer for several Midwest papers after World War II. During the war, he served in the Army Air Forces. \nSohl wrote a number of books, including The Mars Monopoly, The Lemon Eaters, The Resurrection of Frank Borchard and The Spun Sugar Hole. \nHe also wrote under the pseudonyms Nathan Butler, Sean Mei Sullivan and Roberta Jean Mountjoy. \nAs a television writer, he worked on episodes of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents," "Naked City," "The Outer Limits," "Route 66" and "The Invaders."\nPolice reunite for Hall of Fame induction\nROME -- The Police may get together again -- at least for one night, and possibly two. \nFormer Police drummer Stewart Copeland told reporters Friday in Milan that the band would play March 10 in New York when it is inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the ANSA news agency said. \nThe Police, which split up in 1985 after making such hits as "Roxanne" and "Every Breath You Take," have also been asked to perform at a future concert honoring South Africa's Nelson Mandela, ANSA said. \nThere's just one hitch, involving one member of the Police. \n"Sting still hasn't said yes," ANSA quoted Copeland as saying, referring to the Mandela concert only. "In fact, me and (guitarist) Andy Summers were thinking of asking Bono to sing with us," he said, referring to U2's lead singer. \nThe concert is called "Sending Out an S.O.S" -- lyrics from the Police hit "Message in a Bottle," which the band has been asked to perform, ANSA said. \nThree British exports of rock's "new wave" of the 1970s -- The Police, The Clash and Elvis Costello and the Attractions -- will join the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on March 10 along with the Righteous Brothers and Australian hard rockers AC/DC.