Sunday, Sept. 8

IU closes out regular season against IUPUI

For the last time this regular season, the Hoosiers will lace up their Adidas cleats at Bill Armstrong Stadium.\nFor seven Hoosiers, the weekend may be the last time they ever enjoy the field at IU.\nIU (13-2-2) will challenge in-state rival IUPUI (3-12-2) at 2 p.m. Sunday in IU's final regular season game. Despite IUPUI's less than stunning record, the Hoosiers realize a win is far from guaranteed, and they do not want to be upset on Senior Day.\n"Every year, IUPUI gives us a battle," senior midfielder Ryan Mack said."They're always up for this game, and if they win it will make their season, so we have to be on our toes just like every other game."\nBarring any disasters, IU should earn a high enough seed in the NCAA Tournament in order to play some more homes games, but the Hoosiers aren't looking that far into the future.\n"We may get the first couple of rounds of the tournament at home, but we can't think about that now," Mack said. "Since this could be my last game at home, it's huge. It's crazy that this may be my last time playing here."\nIn a recently established series between the two teams, IU has won both games, 2-0 and 6-0. But IUPUI could be a treacherous team if ignored.\n"It's a dangerous game," coach Jerry Yeagley said. "It's a game we certainly should win, yet IUPUI is playing their best soccer now. Their coach, Steve Franklin, was an assistant here, so he knows our strengths and weaknesses. This is the chance for them to be giant killers."\nThe Jaguars managed a 2-2 tie against Butler last week, while IU defeated the Bulldogs 2-0 earlier in the season.\nIUPUI has talented players, so IU's defense must be on its guard.\nSenior Ben Higginbotham moved to the forward position in the Jaguars' two games last week, and scored three of the team's four goals, including the game-winner in overtime against Western Illinois.\nHigginbotham earned the Mid-Continent Conference Offensive Player of the Week award for his performances. He also was named the conference's defensive player of the week two weeks ago, and is the only player to receive both honors in the conference this season.\nIU has many threats of its own, though. \nSenior co-captain Pat Noonan has racked up a team high 34 points on 13 goals and nine assists. Fellow senior Mack has tallied 20 points, and sophomore Ned Grabavoy follows closely with 19 points.\nGrabavoy is questionable for the game after suffering a high ankle sprain last weekend in California.\nWhile Grabavoy may not play, senior Marcus Chorvat will make his return and start for the Hoosiers after missing all but one game this season after breaking his leg.\nYeagley said he hopes Chorvat can give the team some help in the tournaments with his experience and abilities.\nBoth IU and IUPUI conclude their regular seasons Sunday, and the match will serve as a tune-up for conference tournament action.\n"We come out here every day and beat up on each other," senior co-captain John Swann said. "It's nice to be able to go out and play a different opponent, so they throw something different at us"