Sunday, Oct. 6

Fire guts house

Bloomington Fire Department firefighters responded quickly and extinguished a house fire Thursday night on East 10th Street.\nFire officials could not confirm the cause of the fire Thursday night, but said an investigation is pending. No injuries were reported.\nTenants at the four-person house said they suspected candles may have been left burning inside one of the rooms of the house, located at 413 E. 10th Street.\nIU senior James Deter was the only person home when the fire started. \n"I was actually watching a movie. I smelled smoke and called 911 from my cell," Deter said.\nDeter said his room is connected by a double-door to another room where the fire originated.\n"I started to see if I could grab any of my stuff, but my room was already filled with smoke," Deter said.\nPolice and fire officials blocked off sections of 10th Street between Dunn and Grant Streets for nearly an hour making sure the fire was contained. Traffic along 10th Street was diverted along alternate routes.\nDeter's roomate, IU junior Bill Moody, said he wasn't sure how the fire started.\n"I might have left candles burning, but I really don't know."\nDeter said he and his roomates intend to stay with friends over the weekend.\nBoth Deter and Moody said they were unsure if they possessed renters' insurance, given their house is leased through Costley and Co. of Bloomington.