Friday, Oct. 18

Monologues for the future

V-day opposes violence against women and girls through interaction with audiences

Last year, Ben Barone worked as an usher for a performance of Eve Ensler's "The Vagina Monologues." Being a male, he could not perform in the show and did not have any other opportunity to help with V-Day, a national effort to abolish violence against women and girls. Now a sophomore, Barone not only is performing a new monologue, but he also co-wrote it with Bloomington residents Patrick Kinsman and Clint Wolfe.\n"There aren't enough men who care about women's issues," Barone said. "This is an opportunity for men to show involvement with the women's movement."\nSince 2000, IU has been a part of a growing chain of colleges and universities involved in the V-Day College Campaign, a movement to raise money and awareness to stop violence against women and girls. The event usually includes a performance of "The Vagina Monologues" and other related activities. This year's V-Day stretches over three days: Wednesday, Thursday and Friday of this week. The events take place at 7 p.m. each night at the Willkie Auditorium. Tickets are $7 for students and seniors and $10 for the general public. \nTaking place once a year close to Valentine's Day, the national V-Day movement was born in 1998 as an outgrowth of Ensler's Obie-Award winning play, "The Vagina Monologues." As Ensler performed the piece all around the world, she saw and heard first hand the destructive personal, social, political and economic consequences violence against women has for many nations. At first, V-Day was a small event sponsored by a group of New York City women. Gradually the movement grew to encompass international ventures and a college campaign. This year, IU is one of 647 colleges and universities participating in V-Day. \n"This is our fourth year raising funds to help end local violence against women and girls," said V-Day producer Debby Herbenick, graduate student in public policy. "While it is painful to realize that women and girls continue to face physical and sexual violence on campus and in the greater Bloomington community, it is incredible to realize the amazing resources that IU and the community have to work to end this violence." \nAccording to the V-Day Web site, the movement's mission is simple. It demands that the violence must end. It proclaims Valentine's Day as V-Day until the violence stops. When all women live in safety, no longer fearing violence or the threat of violence, then V-Day will be known as 'Victory Over Violence Day.' \nIn 2001, Worth magazine named V-Day one of the "100 Best Charities" in recognition of the money the movement raises and puts to use. V-Day has created a safe house for girls, who wish to escape female genital circumcision in Kenya. Prior to Sept. 11, V-Day was actively working with women in Afghanistan who were suffering under the Taliban. V-Day remains actively engaged with those women and men in Afghanistan who are working to effect change. \n"This year we are spotlighting the situation of American Indian women in America, who have a much higher rate of physical and sexual abuse than other women in this country," Herbenick said. "V-Day raised more than $7 million in 2002 alone, and continues to be a powerhouse charity."\nPREPARING FOR V-DAY\nIn October, Bloomington and the IU campus brimmed with flyers advertising auditions for "The Vagina Monologues." The organizers received an overwhelming response for auditions. \nDirector Megan Andersen chose the 19-member cast. \nThis year's IU V-Day features two new monologues in addition to those in Ensler's book. One of the new pieces was written by a group of local women; the other by Barone and two others. \nThe men rehearsed separately and did not meet all of the women involved until this past Sunday. The separate rehearsals gave each group the opportunity to get to know the individual members and to work together to create the new monologues.\n"Since it's a monologue show, it doesn't require the type of interaction that a normal production would," said sophomore Camille Kuthrell, who will perform in "The Vagina Monologues." "There are a lot of busy women in the show. People who tend to get involved in anything, get involved in a lot."\nKuthrell, along with 15 other women, worked on the additional monologue, expressing her thoughts on what the world will be like without violence against women and girls. Originally, the men's monologue was supposed to be written on the same theme, but in the course of the discussion between Kinsman, Barone and Wolfe, the theme evolved into something more. Each of the three men knows a woman who has been a victim of abuse. \n"We realized the connection between the three of us," Barone said. "We thought it would have the greatest impact if we talk about how violence against women affects us as partners of women affected by violence."\nEach group has been rehearsing once a week in full cast, with each member rehearsing his or her part of the monologue separately. \nIMPACT ON BLOOMINGTON\nNone of the actors will be paid for his or her participation. V-Day is a completely volunteer movement, whose proceeds will be donated to Bloomington's Middle Way House -- a shelter for abused women and their children. In addition, the Office for Women's Affairs has received a portion of the funding in the past. Around the United States, similar organizations working to stop violence against women and girls will receive the proceeds of V-Day events on college campuses.\n"While V-Day's main focus is on the disproportionate violence against women and girls in some arenas, I should note that V-Day as well as our local beneficiaries, Middle Way House and the Office for Women's Affairs, are all committed to ending violence against people regardless of sex or gender," Herbenick said.\nWhile the ultimate goal of the V-Day movement is to stop violence, "The Vagina Monologues" performances also open eyes. The play's name itself requires a certain degree of tolerance, cast members said. The play brings up issues of female sexuality and the awkwardness surrounding the subject in today's society. \n"I think that V-Day and the monologues will inspire a lot of women to accept their bodies more," Barone said. "For men, the play can help them understand and appreciate the beauty of the female body and female sexuality, no matter what their orientation is"