Friday, Oct. 18

Calling all fiddlers

IU folklore and Indiana Arts Commission to co-sponsor fiddle contest

Rosin up your bow and do-si-do on over to the Indiana State Fair on August 9 if you think you've got what it takes to compete with some of the area's best musicians. Traditional Arts Indiana, a collaboration between the Indiana Arts Commission and IU's Folklore and Ethnomusicology Department, is sponsoring the Indiana State Fair Fiddle Contest. \n"The purpose of the contest is to highlight Indiana's long and vibrant fiddle tradition," said Erin Roth, manager of Traditional Arts Indiana.\nThe contest will feature two divisions, a Beginners Class and an Open Class. The Beginner's Division is intended for players with less than two years experience. First through third placings will be awarded with prizes ranging from $50 to $100. The Open Class is intended for more experienced, musically proficient players. First through sixth placings will be awarded with prizes ranging from $50 to $250. \nContestants are expected to prepare three pieces: a waltz, a hoedown and a selection of their choice. Contestants can perform alone or with one or two accompanists, as long as the accompanists do not play the melody of the tune. Each contestant is allotted six minutes to perform. A panel of three judges, all with extensive backgrounds in fiddling, will evaluate the performances. The judges will award points based on a variety of factors, including rhythm, phrasing and bowing technique. Should there be a tie, the winner will be decided by a one-tune playoff. \nUnlike many fiddle competitions that tend to stress the Texas style of playing, the Traditional Arts Indiana State Fair Fiddle Contest is open to all styles. "There will probably be some Celtic and bluegrass, as well as old-time and the usual Texas-style playing," said contest judge Jeff Guernsey. Contest organizers highly encourage students from IU's School of Music to enter. \nThe contest will be on the WFMS Free Stage and will last from 10 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. \n"This event will be a great opportunity to see some of Indiana's finest musicians compete," Roth said. "These contests are intended to entertain audiences." \nOrganizers said they expect the prizes to attract many fiddlers well known to local contests, thus ensuring a healthy level of competition. \n"I expect to see contestants from Kentucky, Ohio and Illinois. Maybe even a few from Michigan," Guernsey said.\nThe Indiana State Fair is continuing the contest after more than a decade hiatus. "This used to be a huge event 10 to 15 years ago," said Sondra Welton, of the State Fair. "This is exciting."\nThere might not be a soul on the line or a fiddle of gold at stake, but this concert is sure to see some of the finest fiddling since Johnny showed the devil how it's done.\nFor more information on how to enter, contact Sondra Welton at (317) 927-7524 or visit www.indiana.edu/~tradarts/