Tuesday, Oct. 1

world

IU community confers about presidential race

Professors, political groups debate recent polls

Close behind in the democratic race are Sens. John Kerry and Joe Lieberman and Gov. Howard Dean. Clark, the surprise entry, is a former CNN military analyst and retired general of NATO's 1999 air war in Kosovo. Since his entry into the race on Sept. 17, he has shot to the forefront of the race for the ticket. He is already leading the other nine democratic candidates by nine percentage points nationally, according to last week's CNN polls. \nIU College Republicans President Angel Rivera said he thinks the race will be determined by the two issues that have been at the top of the nation's list in recent years -- the economy and national defense. \nIn the months directly following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks and the subsequent military action in Afghanistan, Bush enjoyed high approval ratings. But since Bush declared an end to military combat in Iraq on May 1, his numbers in the polls have been slipping. His approval rating is currently around 50 percent -- the lowest since he came into office in January 2001. \nBecause these polls have been taken early in the campaign, many are questioning the validity of its indications.\n"Historically, polls that are done a year in advance just don't hold up," associate professor of American politics Larry Hanks said. "A poll at this point is merely suggestive."\nRivera said he is much more confident about Bush's national popularity on current issues. \n"When Bush wins, it will be because of his wide appeal on national defense, family values and the economy," he said, citing Bush's "No Child Left Behind" campaign. \nHowever, not everyone agrees that Bush has wide appeal. \n"There is a lot of controversy over Bush right now," IU College Democrats President Mandy Carmichael said. "Security is very important, but the economy will be the deciding factor in this election."\nAccording to CNN.com, approximately 3.2 million jobs have been lost since Bush took office. While many Republicans attribute this to the normal economic trends, some Democrats are skeptical. But while Bush could be at a disadvantage with national monetary issues, his campaign fund-raising far exceeds that of his nearest rival John Kerry -- doubling Kerry's $16 million with $35 million so far, according to CNN.com.\n"The Democrats have a difficult task ahead of them," Hanks said. "No one has shown widespread appeal. Clark has been the only person that has shown a chance of beating Bush."\n-- Contact staff writer Lauren Schaefer at lamschae@indiana.edu.