Friday, Sept. 20

New spin used on old story

Version of 'Romeo and Juliet' carries traditional message

Though many people might remember the variations they previously have seen of "Romeo and Juliet," director Murray McGibbon's production is like no other.\n"Romeo and Juliet" opens at 8 p.m. Friday at the Ruth N. Halls Theatre. It is also showing on Nov. 15 and Nov. 17 through 22. \nCreated from four different versions of "Romeo and Juliet," this version of two warring families will be appealing to young people and is "hot and sexy," said director Murray McGibbon. Since this version of the script is not one that can be bought off the shelf, McGibbon had the opportunity to invent his own time period and make his own product. \n"I don't want to upset people, but I want to challenge notions," McGibbon said. "This has a different emphasis, a different meaning." \nThough the theme of the play has not been modified at all, the abstract setting for this production is not common to Shakespearian plays in how it is used in all scenes, McGibbon said. \n"(The setting) breaks a lot of rules," he said.\nFor example, McGibbon said there is no balcony used for the balcony scene.\nThe setting focuses more on the actors and the grouping of actors telling the story, McGibbon said.\nJunior Darby Cicci takes on the role of Romeo, portraying the agony of his youth. Though he has performed Shakespeare before, this role is Cicci's first lead role in any production.\n"It is huge for me to have such a large role with the weight of the show on me," Cicci said. "This gives me a chance to immerse myself in a role and sink my teeth into a show."\nSenior Sara Dobbs will perform as Juliet. Dobbs said she hopes people who are intimidated by Shakespeare will now understand his messages through this production.\n"I really hope that we as an ensemble touch the audience and show this tragedy and somehow affect them," Dobbs said. "The youngness and happiness contrast so much to the dark ending that it makes it more accessible to people our age."\nThe play's classical setting can be hard to understand, but this version is a "new play for today," McGibbon said. The play is innovative but it still preserves the delicacy of the language through iambic pentameter, he said.\nEven though this production has a different approach, many people are familiar with the story. It will attract people because many are familiar with this work, said John Kinzer, director of audience development for the Department of Theatre and Drama. He said he wants students to feel welcome to attend, and hopes the Theatre and Drama Center can become a gathering place for students. \n"I hope we can participate in a small way to what professional theater is like when (students) graduate IU," Kinzer said. "Whatever their major is, they will see that the theater is a great place to go."\nA major part in making the show successful is working hard at something and doing a good job, Cicci said.\n"I definitely pushed myself doing things I never saw myself doing, both physically and vocally," Cicci said.\nDobbs said McGibbon encouraged the cast, especially those representing Romeo and Juliet, to remember the young spirit since both characters are in their teenage years.\n"Juliet's character is so complex," she said. "I am closer to the age and these feelings they are going through, even though they are so young and are having experiences like people my age are having."\n"Romeo and Juliet" should show the audience the tragedy of relationships, McGibbon said. At the end of this production, people should realize that Romeo and Juliet did not have to be a product of warring families and this tale could have ended differently, he said. \n"People should make love, not war," McGibbon said.\nTicket prices are $15 for adults and $13 for students and seniors. Contact the IU Auditorium box office or Ticketmaster for more information.\n-- Contact staff writer Jill Sankey at jpsankey@indiana.edu.