Friday, Sept. 27

Kirkwood Av. life

The six blocks of Kirkwood Avenue between Bloomington's historic courthouse and the Indiana University campus form a vital link between campus and community. Bars, restaurants, theaters, churches and locally-owned businesses line the street and provide popular meeting places for students and Bloomington residents. From backpack-laden students who grasp cups of coffee in the morning, to packs of skateboarders, dog-walkers and vagabond musicians in the afternoon, to the stumbling, belligerent, fashion-conscious night owls, the street is a center of activity at nearly all hours of the day.\nWhatever the need, Kirkwood has the answer. Hungry? There are deli-style, bar & grill, Italian, Greek and home-style restaurants. Music? See a live show at a bar or theater or locate new or hard-to-find albums at a number of stores. Shopping? Various stores carry the latest fashions, university apparel, antiques, bicycles, cameras, art, books and other odds and ends. \nThis photo essay examines the people and places of Kirkwood. It shows you life outside on the street, fighting the snow and basking in the sun. It takes you inside various locations giving the street its unique personality and introduces you to the people who paint this avenue with color.