Friday, Sept. 27

Dolls, sports, music: Pianist shares life tales

22-year-old artist discusses ambitions, life on the road

International sensation Lang Lang will be giving a recital 8 p.m. Wednesday at the IU Auditorium. The 22-year-old Chinese pianist has been hailed as the Arthur Rubinstein of today's generation. Lang Lang is the first Chinese pianist to have performed with America's top five orchestras -- Cleveland Orchestra, New York Philharmonic, Philadelphia Orchestra, Chicago Symphony Orchestra and Boston Symphony, collectively known as "The Big Five." Recently named as an international UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, Lang Lang is the youngest on the list of influential celebrities that do their part to make a difference in the world. Here Lang Lang gives IU students a glimpse into his extraordinary life.

Khai-Ern Ooi: You always look so natural on stage -- have you ever experienced stage fright?\nLang Lang: I've never had that problem, and hopefully I won't. I just like to play. I think that when you're on stage as a soloist, it's like home. You just have fun, you know, and go out to have a great time. If you say, "I'm so nervous, I don't wanna do this, it's so scary," then we might be missing the point totally.\nKO: Do you have any advice for people who have to always combat nerves on stage?\nLL: Yeah, I believe that we should have a really good nap before the concert, and to be able to think clearly. Think about this: you're going to have to play this recital anyway. Whether you're nervous or not, whether you're happy or not, you will perform, right? And I think, if you're really nervous, really scared, why don't you just focus on being totally free. Forget about what's terrible about it, and just play. Sometimes I think it's a lot better to show off and think "it's good," rather than if the nerves get so bad that you feel so out of place to perform, and that the whole procedure is so painful -- in this case you might as well not play the piano.\nKO: How did you start playing the piano in the first place?\nLL: There were two things: my father, he plays the Chinese violin, the erhu, he was a big musical influence in my life. And when I was little I watched "Tom and Jerry" a lot, and they always had Liszt's "Hungarian Rhapsody" (he sings the tune) in the music. And at home there was a commercial -- a video thing -- and the background music was the Tchaikovsky "Piano Concerto (No. 1)" (sings the tune) and so I thought, that's pretty cool as well. And then I had a piano just when I was two, so that's when I really started playing. \nKO: Are any inspirations in your life non-musical?\nLL: Definitely. I love Michael Jordan. I used to be such a big fan of him, and I like Tiger Woods a lot. Haha, I'm a sports spectator ... And I must say that I've learned a lot since I became a UNICEF Ambassador and when I had my first trip to Africa. I really really got inspired by the musicians in Africa. It really opened my eyes when I saw all these wonderful people suffering from malaria.\nKO: Could you elaborate more on your role as the UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador?\nLL: Yeah, for me of course the most important thing is raising awareness. Another thing is that I will do my best to play in fund-raising concerts. And I go to the different places ... collaborate with the government, get to know the local community, the leaders and the village people. Also, the thing is that most of them are just people our age, young people, you know. So it's young people helping young people. \nKO: What are your other plans for the future? Are there any unaccomplished goals left in your first 22 years?\nLL: Absolutely. I mean, I would like to do some things in movies, like recording soundtracks. I'd love to meet some of the wonderful composers in Hollywood, and that would be some really good fun. Also I'll be focusing more on contemporary music -- you know we are always playing the wonderful works from the past, it's great, but we have so much variety of contemporary music now.\nKO: What do you do to relax?\nLL: I read books to relax, and I love watching basketball and (soccer). I play basketball sometimes, but not very much anymore, because it'll hurt my hands. I play (soccer), you know, you only use your legs. And I really like hanging out with friends in the bar. \nKO: So music has always been part of your life?\nLL: Well, yeah, but I think that maybe now you would see that I'm not just a pianist, and I'm involved with lots of other things, but the piano -- you can say that that's my purpose, and I can do so much things on the piano. But I will do other things other than that. To be a teacher, educator -- there's lots of things, and musicians are creative people. We are always creating, in a way. So hopefully I will be able to do this well, and keep doing what I like, and keep being passionate about the music.\nKO: What do you miss most when you're on tour? Is there something you bring with you everywhere you go?\nLL: Actually I do. I have a little golden doll thing, like it's always in my tuxedo, maybe you will see it from some parts of the audience -- or maybe you don't see it so clear. I always have it, it's like a sign or something for good luck or for peace. And -- and I also used to believe in the Chinese superstitions a lot, I had to have this red thing, which I lost, but I'm still fine playing in concerts. (laughs at himself)\nKO: It's a very nomadic lifestyle.\nLL: Yeah. Sometimes I miss the normal life, attending classes with other colleagues, playing basketball or football or something but now, to always travel, either by myself or sometimes with my family, sometimes it's a little bit tiring. I miss the normal life, a bit. So that's why when I'm home, I try to just -- do nothing, you know.\nKO: Apart from practicing, do you have any advice for our many musicians here in IU?\nLL: Yes. I think that after classes they should do loads of exercise to loosen up the muscles. I know that for me I like to do that, sometimes it's better than relaxing in the bars. Normally what I do is if the weather is nice I like to go out, to go to a lake, to play some sports or to read some poems, you know, keep your mind free.\n-- Contact staff writer Khai-Ern Ooi at ooik@indiana.edu.