Friday, Sept. 27

New Waldron exhibit opens to display local artists' masterpieces

The Bloomington Area Arts Council unveiled the new works on display at the John Waldron Arts Center in an opening reception Friday night. The venue showcases many of south central Indiana's best artists. This month, the BAAC displayed the works of pastel artist Lynn Gilliatt, watercolorist Connie Brorson and lamp designers Ruth Hope Conway and Linda Knudsen.\nThe Waldron Arts Center filled with people who came to see new artwork. Discussions took place between the artists and visitors about what the artwork meant.\nBrorson's friend Carolyn Richard said she has attended several of these receptions in the past. She said she thought it was wonderful to live in a community where there is so much activity in the arts.\n"It is truly fun to meet the artists and talk to them because, from talking, it deepens your appreciation of their artwork and you feel more connected with the artists," Richard said. "Connie is a personal friend of mine and I think her work is delightfully spirited. And I have always been a long admirer of Lynn Gilliatt's work."\nEach of the artists' masterpieces was unique in texture and in style. Brorson's watercolors captured cheerfulness and humor, and brought out the imaginative inner child.\n"I really enjoyed doing all my artwork and had plenty of fun with them. I love to share my imagination and joy of life to others," Brorson said.\nGilliatt's pastel pieces reflected what society does day to day. Through smooth strokes, her artwork gave a tour of her personal life, revealing places she has been and people she knows. \nConway and Knudson worked together to create unique lamps. Conway handcrafted each lamp base in a different shape, color and size. The designs related to the lamp names. Knudson created lamp shades of effervescent colors blended together. Light made the intense colors and patterns vibrant.\n"I had always took an interest in creating bases to lamps because it allows me to connect to the potter in me," Conway said. "And working cooperatively with Linda was fun and really brought together two unique artists to create a beautiful piece of art."\nThe new artwork will be on display at the Waldron art center until Nov. 13.\n-- Contact staff writer Rose Mary Forte at rforte@indiana.edu.